Vegetarian Cabbage Soup is a flavorful, healthy and low calorie meal. A great way to be healthy, or an easy recipe for Lent. There's nothing more comforting than a bowl of homemade soup on a cold day, or when you're unwell. Vegan and vegetarian soups are full of flavor and full of vitamins. You won't even realize you're eating a meat free soup.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
There are many reasons to eat a Vegetarian or Vegan Cabbage Soup, and it's not necessarily because you don't eat meat. It's not the Cabbage Soup Diet, but much tastier!
- low calorie - perfect as part of a weight loss diet
- increase your vegetables - healthy with increased vitamins too
- vegetarian Lent recipes - for the lead up to Easter
- detox - increases diuretic properties
- health reasons - part of a diet to lower cholesterol
- garden fresh - fantastic way to use your in-season garden vegetables
- economical - great for your wallet!
Homemade Vegetable Stock
You might be surprised that not all cabbage soups are vegetarian. Quite often they are made with beef or chicken stock. A tasty Vegetarian soup must have a great tasting stock. Here's how I make my vegetable broth! Alternatively, you can buy it in Tetra Paks from your supermarket.
- Place soup pot on the stove. Add 2 onions, 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 5 garlic cloves, handful mushrooms, 1 teaspoon peppercorns, and parsley and thyme to a pot and bring to a boil.
- When it reaches the boil, simmer on low with a semi-covered lid for 2 hours. (the longer the better). Strain the soup into a colander over a large bowl to remove the vegetables.
- Using a cheesecloth (muslin), strain the soup again to remove the small impurities to make a clear broth. Your stock is now ready to use for your soup. Any excess stock, easily freezes for another meal.
Ingredients in Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
- Cabbage - ½ head, shredded
- Potatoes - Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes are great for soups
- Onion - large onion provides flavor base for broth
- Carrot - adds a bit of sweetness
- Tomatoes - for depth
- Red Pepper - adds flavor
- Bay Leaf - adds flavor and aroma
- Fresh Dill or herbs like Basil
How to Make Cabbage Soup
- Prepare Stock - homemade always tastes better, or use store-bought
- Saute - caramelize onions, garlic and carrot, then add red peppers and tomatoes in a stock pot
- Pour Stock - pour over sautéed vegetables and bring to a boil
- Add Vegetables - add shredded cabbage, diced potatoes and bay leaf
- Season - flavor with fresh dill or basil, salt and pepper
Boosting your Vegetable Intake
There are many different ways to boost your vegetables, and soup is probably one of the easiest. Any of these vegetables can be added to personalize your recipe.
- Swiss Chard
- Green Beans
- Canned Chickpeas
- White Beans
- Kidney Beans
What to Serve with Cabbage Soup
It's not always a detox, low calorie meal, but can be part of a tasty lunch. Here are some suggestions you'll enjoy with your soup
- Cheesy Pull Apart Garlic Bread
- Cabbage Piroshki (hand pies)
- Dinner Rolls or Rye Bread
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Russian Pan Fried Potatoes
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Make it Spicy! Add chili flakes or chili peppers to kick it up a notch
- Leafy Greens - if adding leafy greens, add them at the last minute or they will get mushy in the soup
- Extra Protein - for more protein, add canned white beans or firm tofu cubes
- Tomato Paste - add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste for a richer, tomato broth
- Frozen Vegetables - using frozen vegetables are a great prep timesaver, just use fresh shredded cabbage (can even prep summer vegetables into Ziploc freezer bags to pull out later for easy soup)
- Canned Tomatoes - instead of fresh tomatoes, used a 14.5 oz (400g) can of diced tomatoes
How to Make Instant Pot Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
Saute onions and carrots for 5 minutes until they start to caramelize. Place vegetables inside the Instant Pot. Fill with vegetable stock to the MAX ⅔ line. Lock lid and set on HIGH for 5 minutes. Let the Instant Pot naturally release for about 15 minutes.
How Long Does Cabbage Soup Last?
Keep refrigerated in an air tight container - it should last 4 to 5 days.
Can you Freeze Cabbage Soup?
This recipe makes a lot of soup, a large stock pot. Of course you are going to have leftovers. The good news is that Cabbage Soup freezes really well. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature and place in a freeze safe container, or multiple containers. Freeze it and use within 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before re-heating.
Vegetarian Recipes You'll Love
- Beet and Onion Tarte Tatin
- Vinegret Beet Salad
- Roasted Broccoli and Garlic with Soy
- Butter Braised Cabbage
- Grilled Zucchini
- Cold Beet Soup (Vegan)
- Pumpkin and Leek Soup
Vegetarian Cabbage Soup is easy to make, healthy and low calorie meal. Chunky, hearty and heartwarming, perfect to detox or just if you love a tasty vegetable soup. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- ½ cabbage shredded
- 3 potatoes cubed in small pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 carrot grated
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 small red pepper diced
- oil for frying
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of fresh dill or basil chopped
- 5 quarts (litres) vegetable stock homemade or store-bought
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a stock pot. Fry chopped onions, garlic and grated carrots until caramelized.
- Add the red peppers, chopped tomatoes (including juices) and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour 5 litres of vegetable broth into the stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Add shredded cabbage, bay leaf and diced potatoes and cook for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.
- Season salt and pepper to taste. Mix in fresh dill or basil.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *orignally published August 2016, updated February 2023