Butter Braised Cabbage, is a simple Eastern European comfort food. It's easy to shred cabbage, toss in butter, resulting in a tender cabbage side dish. A hearty, economical, vegetarian recipe, with lots of flavor.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Easy to prepare - no special skills required, all you need is a knife, cutting board and a frying pan
- Economical - a head of cabbage is cheap and can feed a lot of people, with leftovers
- Easy Ingredients- you have everything you need for this recipe in your pantry
Sometimes I think cabbage gets an undeserved bad reputation, this is a great way to introduce it to your family. Braised Cabbage (Тушеная капуста) is a healthy side with lots of Vitamin K and Vitamin C.
What is Braised Cabbage?
Braised Cabbage is a side dish that's popular in Eastern Europe, and across the world. It's prepared many different ways across cultures. Shredded cabbage is fried, (sometimes with vegetables) then braised until cooked. Sometimes spices, sugar or vinegars are added. A versatile recipe popular across cultures.
Red Cabbage or Green Cabbage
This particular sautéed cabbage recipe is always made with green cabbage, or a Savoy cabbage. You can usually interchangeably use red or green cabbage in most recipes. However, the color sometimes runs with red cabbage (turning water blue) so green looks more appetizing.
Ingredients You'll Need
- small shredded cabbage
- grated carrot
- 2 medium onions
- salt and pepper
If you're using a large cabbage, just cut in half, and save it for another recipe.
How to Make Braised Cabbaged
This is a vegetarian braised cabbage recipe. Some recipes add bacon or pork to the cabbage for a meatier side. You won't need to add to much water when braising. Lots of water is only necessary if the cabbage isn't fresh. Old cabbage (meaning picked and stored for a long time before use) won't release enough water.
- Prepare the cabbage - Slice into quarters then shred into thin strips
- Cut vegetables - Dice the onions and grate the carrot
- Sautée - melt butter in onions and carrots fry until caramelized
- Add - mix in shredded cabbage, add more butter, a bit of water, cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes
- Mix through 1-2 tablespoons of Ketchup, season and serve
What to Serve with Braised Cabbage
This Braised Cabbage recipe is usually made as a side dish. Perfect to enjoy alongside steak, roast lamb, chicken or pork. We all need more vegetables in our diet. This recipe can also be used as a filling for an easy Puff Pastry Cabbage Pie or alongside Creamy Garlic Mashed Potato.
There are so many ways to eat cabbage. It's not only a fall and winter recipe, but can be enjoyed year round. Like I said before, everyone needs more cabbage in their life!
How to flavor Braised Cabbage
Be generous with the butter, I love the flavor that butter adds to this braised cabbage recipe. Lots of butter and a bit of Ketchup are the secrets to this recipe. Here are more tips.
- Sauté in bacon grease or drippings
- Fry bacon or sausage with the onions for flavor
- Add ½ teaspoon of tomato paste to the sautéed onions
- Drizzle with Balsamic Glaze for extra depth and tang
- Garnish with fresh herbs like dill or basil for a flavor boost
- For an Asian twist, add garlic and soy sauce
Can You Make in Advance?
Absolutely! Prepare this dish a day ahead and simply reheat as your side dish with your dinner. Also easy to re-heat for leftovers to enjoy later in the week.
Cabbage Recipes You'll Love
- Quick Pickled Cabbage
- Shchi Cabbage Soup
- Golubtsi - Cabbage Rolls
- Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- Borscht Beet Soup
There are so many ways to eat cabbage. Like I said before, everyone needs more cabbage in their life! Even if you don't love cabbage, let this recipe change your mind. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 small cabbage shredded
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 medium onions diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- splash of water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the diced onions and grated carrot in 2 tablespoons of butter until they are caramelized (for about 6 minutes).
- Add the shredded cabbage and 2 tablespoons of butter, splash of water, cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes on low heat. Set aside. If the cabbage is old and not fresh, add 3-4 tablespoons of water to make it more juicier.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of ketchup, and stew for another 5 minutes. Serve as a side with your meal.