Fried Eggplant Slices (Жареные баклажаны) is a simple and rustic dish from my childhood. Pan fried and crispy, served with a generous dollop of fresh dill and sour cream.
We had a large backyard garden and we had rows of vegetables growing, including eggplants. It was usually in the late summer that mom would make the different eggplant recipes. Along side Fried Eggplants. Russian Eggplant Caviar was always made each summer.
How Do You Eat Eggplant?
Eggplant is kind of a funny vegetable, with many people not knowing how to eat eggplant. I'm always on the hunt for tasty eggplant recipes. Many different cultures have eggplant recipes. Greek Moussaka is one of my favorites, which is like a Greek Lasagna. In the UK, Eggplant is known as Aubergine, so you might be searching for Aubergine recipes. Eggplants can be roasted, sliced, diced, barbecued, pickled, eaten anyway you like!
One of my favorite Russian eggplant dishes is Russian Eggplant Caviar which my mom made every summer. However I fondly remember these fried eggplant slices. Eggplant is very healthy to eat, full of vitamins, low GI, cholesterol free, low in carbs and calories. However frying them would definitely add calories!
What Does Eggplant Taste Like?
Eggplant has really unusual qualities when you eat it. My wife says that it doesn't really taste like anything. If you were to take a bit of a raw eggplant, it would be spongy, and a bit bitter, but also neutral in taste. Some eggplant recipes requiring salting before using. This draws out any bitter liquid, but leaves the eggplant soggy.
This is the beauty of eggplant. It will take on whatever flavor your prepare with it. I buy Italian Eggplant Strips pickled with garlic and peppers. They take on the flavor of the garlic and peppers. They taste amazing on sandwiches.
Fried Eggplant with Sour Cream
This Fried Eggplant recipe is eggplant cooked in one of its purest forms. There are no strong flavors the accompany the eggplant, just flour, salt and egg. The flavors complement this eggplant recipe is a sour cream sauce. It's simply fresh dill mixed with sour cream. The sour cream adds a cool smoothness, while the dill fills the flavor void from the neutral eggplant. A simple rustic eggplant recipe I call my Russian Eggplants Slices, (Жареные баклажаны) because of the sour cream and dill!
Fancy Fried Eggplant Variations
There are many different ways to eat fried Eggplant Slices. My recipe feels like Tempura style, except it's not dipped in a batter. You dip the eggplant into beaten eggs, before covering in flour. A very simple recipe. Here are some fancy recipe ideas.
- Coat the eggplant in mixed Panko, parmesan cheese and basil
- When serving, drizzle with honey and rosemary
- Make an fried eggplant stack, add sliced bocconcini and drizzle with balsamic
- Serve fried eggplants with goat cheese and walnuts
- Make a beer batter to dip eggplant slices, before deep frying them
- Drizzle Fried Eggplants with Pesto Mayo
Fried Eggplant tastes best when served immediately. If you wait too long before serving, they get soggy and rubbery. This is a tasty summer side dish, or appetizer. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 eggplant
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup flour
- oil for frying
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- Slice eggplant into ¼ inch slices.
- Beat the eggs and salt together. Heat about 6 tablespoons oil in a frying pan until hot, to fry the eggplant in small batches.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the beaten eggs and shake off the excess. Dredge and shake off the excess. Add to the hot frying pan to cook. Flip and fry the eggplant slices until golden. Add more oil if needed. Salt to taste.
- Combine the sour cream and dill together to serve with the fried eggplant slices.