I am obsessed with my latest recipe, an easy Chickpea Salad that's roasted for extra flavor. It barely takes 15 minutes to prepare and can be served warm, or made in advance and kept in the fridge. It's not meant to be a super warm or hot salad. When the roasted chickpeas come out of the oven and are mixed with the veggies, it's the perfect temperature. And the best part is that this recipe is very healthy as well. I am not a person that counts calories, but I do enjoy eating foods that are healthy (when I'm not eating fatty foods)!
Origins of the Chickpea
Chickpeas are part of the legumes family and are also commonly known as Garbanzo Beans. They are the same thing but are derived from different nationalities. The word Chickpeas came from French influences, and Garbanzo Beans are derived from Spanish. They have been eaten in the Mediterranean for thousands of years, all the way from Turkey to France. They are often dried for easy storage, but need to be boiled before use. Most commonly they are found in every grocery store in a can, ready to go. And they usually cost less than a dollar! I like a recipe that won't break the bank. Try my Pumpkin Hummus Dip as another way to enjoy Chickpeas.
Is Chickpea Salad Healthy?
Chickpeas are high in protein and are a great alternative for vegans and vegetarians. They are high in fibre, in iron, in Vitamin B-6 and magnesium. Some people view chickpeas as good for weightless because of the high levels of protein and fibre. They are also Low GI, which makes you feel fuller for longer.
However chickpeas can sometimes taste bland and need flavor. I love this Chickpea Salad recipe because of the fresh garlic flavor kick. Being Russian, we eat everything with garlic, and raw garlic provides the flavor boost that this recipe needs for me! Cilantro and Red Peppers easily finish off the meal, the flavors work perfectly together.
If you don't like garlic, you can substitute a finely diced red onion, but the health benefits of fresh garlic is better for you!
Chickpea Salad or Garbanzo Bean Salad is a perfect way to boost nutrients and vitamins to your diet. A Mediterranean inspired salad that's healthy as a side salad or even a tasty lunch. Everything tastes better roasted. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 can Chickpeas or Garbanzo Beans
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- bunch of Cilantro
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 Juice of a Lemon
- 1 Red Repper diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Wash and rinse the canned chickpeas and place on a paper towel to dry. Put the chickpeas in a bowl and toss with the olive oil.
- Place the chickpeas on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Roast in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
- While chickpeas are roasting, finely dice the red peppers to the same size as the chickpeas. Chop a bunch of cilantro, including the stems. Mince 1 clove of garlic and add all the vegetables into a bowl.
- Remove the roasted chickpeas from the oven and mix with the chopped vegetables. Pour over any excess oil into the bowl. Squeeze the juice of a lemon and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss and serve.