Everyone loves a traditional Greek Cucumber Salad (known as Horiatiki in Greece), a staple of Greek cuisine! The tastiest summertime vegetable salad, tossed with Greek Feta and an easy vinaigrette dressing.
Which Olives Are Best For Greek Salad?
Olives are very important when making a Greek Salad recipe. Whatever you use, do NOT use the canned black olives. They are tasteless and clearly sold in countries that don't grow olives. The tastiest olives for this salad are dark purple Kalamata Olives, either sold fresh in the deli or in glass jars.
Kalamata Olives are also sold as Kalamon Olives. They are called Kalamon Olives only if they are not grown in the Kalamata region of Greece. It's the same meaty flavorful olive, just with a different name because of where it was planted. They are sold in a brine or sometimes in oil.
Greek Dressing Ingredients
Don't buy your Greek Salad Dressing, it's so easy to make, ready to pour over your salad. This vinaigrette is only 4 ingredients! Make the dressing ahead of time to allow the flavors meld together.
- red wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
Pro Tip: When making salad dressings, use an old glass jar to shake the dressing flavors to emulsify, no blender needed!
How to make Greek Cucumber Salad
Greek Salads are one of my favorite summer salads, and they are jam packed with vegetables. Super easy to make, and these are all the ingredients you need!
- Red Peppers
- Kalamata Olives
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
Traditionally the red onions are cut into rings, but I tend to chop all the ingredients the same size including the onion. I find it's easier to eat when they're cut the same size.
Just chop all your vegetables, toss in a bowl, top with feta and drizzle with salad dressing. Too easy!
Greek Cucumber Salad Tips
- Prepare this salad in advance and keep it covered in the fridge. Just don't pour the salad dressing until you are ready to serve.
- Squeeze ½ a fresh lemon over your salad when you are ready to serve for a citrus zing
- Fresh Oregano tastes great, but use dried Greek Oregano for an authentic flavor
- Buy Pitted Kalamata Olives
- Use authentic Greek Feta Cheese made from sheep's milk, not cow's milk Feta
- Never add lettuce as a base to fill your salad bowl. The hero of Greek Cucumber Salad is the vegetables, not a lettuce filler
- Add some fresh chopped dill to complete your summer salad
What to Serve with Greek Cucumber Salad
This is the perfect summer side dish or summer salad. The perfect salad to bring to a potluck. We enjoy it with everything we bbq on the grill, or you can enjoy it as a light lunch or part of a Greek Meze Feast as you can see in the video!
Other Greek Inspired Recipes You Will Love
- Instant Pot Greek Lamb
- Greek Tzatziki Yogurt Sauce
- Lamb Kofta Skewers
- Slow Roast Leg of Lamb
- Grilled Octopus
- Lamb Patties
- Yogurt Garlic Sauce for Kebabs (Gyros)
- Honey Roasted Figs
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki
An easy Greek Salad recipe, jam packed with veggies, a summertime favorite. Perfect for barbecues, potlucks or on your dinner table at any time of year. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Greek Cucumber Salad
- 4 medium Tomatoes chopped
- Long English Cucumber chopped
- 1 small Red Pepper chopped
- 1 small Green Pepper chopped
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives
- ½ Red Onion chopped
- 200 g Greek Feta cubed
Easy Greek Salad Dressing
- ½ cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1-½ teaspoons Dried or Fresh Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Whisk the Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt and Oregano and set aside for the flavours to meld together.
- Place the Tomatoes, Cucumber, Red Pepper, Onions, in a large bowl. Mix together. Top with feta. Drizzle with the Greek Salad Dressing and serve.