Tired of the same old boring coleslaw recipes? Try this exciting Asian coleslaw, a delicious blend of crunchy vegetables and flavorful Asian ingredients that will tantalize your taste buds and give your meals a kick of flavor. It's a refreshing twist on the classic coleslaw recipe that's sure to please.
Creamy Asian Coleslaw
Spice up your upcoming bbq, picnic, potluck season. If you get tired of making and eating the same coleslaw everyone makes, give this recipe a try. Dressed in a simple, yet zesty sweet-and-spicy dressing, this Asian coleslaw is sure to be a hit at any gathering!
Why This Recipe Works
- Fresh - an different and fresh variation of coleslaw that everyone will love
- Easy - no complicated ingredients, whip it together in minutes
- Flavorful - the perfect balance of Asian ingredients balanced with a creamy Sriracha coleslaw dressing brings it all together
- Napa Cabbage - need approx 8 cups
- Carrots - grated or chopped into matchsticks
- Green Onions - for flavor
- Cilantro - strong, citrusy flavor
- Coleslaw Dressing - mayo, milk, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, celery seeds, seasoning and Sriracha
- Ramen Noodles - either ramen made for salads, or use salad specific noodles
How to Make Asian Coleslaw
- Prepare Vegetables - shred the Napa Cabbage, grate carrots, slice onions and chop cilantro
- Crush Ramen - if using dried ramen from soup packet, crush the ramen into small bite size pieces.
- Make Coleslaw Dressing - whisk together ingredients
- Adjust Spice - add Sriracha and adjust spiciness
- Serve - toss it all together and enjoy
Napa Cabbage vs Green Cabbage
Napa Cabbage is leafier and lighter when compared to green cabbage. Although Green Cabbage is traditional for coleslaw, Napa Cabbage is used extensively in Asian cooking. Green Cabbage is thicker and holds shape better in coleslaw, which makes it ideal to prepare in advance. You can use either cabbage when making Asian Coleslaw
They sell Ramen noodles for salad in supermarkets (as pictured in post), however it's cheaper to use the Instant Ramen noodles soup packets. They're economical and you probably already have a package in your pantry. All you need is one package, crush up the instant noodles into bite size pieces before tossing through coleslaw.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Cilantro Stems - this is the best part with the most flavor, be sure to include them in your coleslaw!
- Add Red Peppers - sweet bell peppers are a great addition to this salad
- Asian Ingredients - toss through baby corn, water chestnuts or mushrooms
- Celery Seeds Substitute - if you can't find celery seeds, skip them. Instead, thinly slice 1 stalk of celery through your coleslaw
- Super Spicy - drizzle Sriracha over coleslaw when serving
Can You Make Asian Coleslaw Ahead of Time?
Yes and No. Napa Cabbage is soft and delicate compared to regular cabbage. As a result, the salad will feel limp compared to traditional coleslaw. As the ramen noodles sit in dressing, they also will get soggy (which some prefer).
If making in advance (ie. to bring to a potluck) prepare the coleslaw but don't pour the dressing until you are ready to serve. Alternatively, substitute Napa Cabbage with regular Cabbage and it can be made in advance.
Keep leftover Asian Coleslaw in an airtight container in the fridge. Best enjoyed within 4-5 days.
Salad Recipes You'll Love
- Shrimp Mango Salad
- Olivier Potato Salad
- Roasted Chickpea Salad
- 7 Bean Salad for Parties
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Bell Pepper Salad
This Asian Ramen Noodle Salad will be a hit on your dinner table. Sweet and tiny bit spicy, full of flavor with a made from scratch creamy coleslaw dressing. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Coleslaw Salad Ingredients
- 1 small Napa cabbage shredded approx 8 cups
- 2 Carrots grated
- 2 Green Onions sliced
- 2 bunch of cilantro chopped
- Instant Ramen Noodles or Salad Noodles
Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
- Slice the Napa Cabbage in quarters and shred into small bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix Napa Cabbage, Carrots, Spring Onions, Cilantro and Ramen noodles.
Sriracha Coleslaw Dressing
- Using a whisk, mix together mayonnaise, sugar, milk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and celery seeds until smooth. Add Sriracha and adjust according to preference.
- Toss coleslaw and dressing. Best served immediately, keep refrigerated.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally posted June 2015, updated April 2023