This KFC Coleslaw dressing is super easy to make! Whether making homemade coleslaw or buying shredded from the supermarket, this dressing makes your salad a hit. Perfect with bbq ribs, a potluck or alongside fish and chips.
Why This Recipe Is Great
- easy - whisk together ingredients and you're done
- flavor you'll love - tastes familiar, you'll make this again and again
- uncomplicated - you already have these ingredients in your fridge
- economical - homemade coleslaw dressing saves you money
- mayonnaise - recommend Hellmans (Best Foods) or Duke's
- sugar - plain white sugar
- milk - whole milk
- lemon juice - fresh squeezed for best tang
- white vinegar - adds acidity to balance the creaminess
- salt and pepper - for seasoning
- white onion - finely minced, the secret of the zing of the dressing
KFC Coleslaw Dressing
There are many variations of coleslaw dressings. Some use fancy vinegars (like tarragon vinegar), creamed horseradish or buttermilk. Not all of these are staples in my fridge. The point of this recipe is to use everyday ingredients you already have at home.
This KFC Coleslaw dressings amazing, rich, tangy and creamy with a zing. It's the perfect coleslaw recipe for bbqs, dinner or potlucks. A copycat KFC dressing when you can't get to your favorite chicken restaurant.
How To Make KFC Coleslaw Dressing
- prepare - place mayonnaise, sugar, milk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper into a bowl.
- mince - using garlic press, squeeze onion until minced. Add to mayo mixture.
- whisk - mix together until combined and sugar has dissolved.
- coat - toss through finely shredded coleslaw and allow flavors to combine for at least 2 hours before serving.
KFC Coleslaw is usually finely shredded and diced into small pieces. Alternatively, it's faster and easier to shred coleslaw into thin strips (either by hand or using a food processor). All you need is 1 small cabbage and a large carrot.
To prepare vegetables, cut a small green cabbage in half and into quarters. Choose your favorite method to shred. You want it to look the same size as you see at KFC. Peel a large carrot.
Using A Knife
Finely shred each cabbage quarter into thin pieces. Turn 180 degrees and thinly slice the shredded cabbage into tiny pieces.
- In small batches, place cabbage in food processor. Pulse until cabbage is finely chopped.
- Alternatively, feed cabbage through the shredder in the food processor. Remove and finely dice.
- Process the carrot through the food processor.
Use a grater to grate a large carrot. The cabbage can't be grated.
Making KFC Coleslaw
- In a bowl, mix together shredded cabbage and carrot.
- Pour KFC Coleslaw Dressing over the cabbage slaw mix. The cabbage will release moisture.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving for best flavor.
Secret of Coleslaw Tang
The secret to this KFC Coleslaw Dressing is adding minced onion. You don't want to finely chop onion, instead use a garlic press to finely mince the onion.This ensures the flavor is there, almost like an onion juice, but without chunky, diced pieces of onion.
So many ways to personalize coleslaw, to change the ordinary to extraordinary. Here are some tasty suggestions.
- Asian Coleslaw - made with Napa Cabbage and Cilantro
- Snow Peas - slice and toss for flavor and crunch
- Kale - finely shred kale for added color and vitamins
- Ramen Noodles - add texture and crunch (and a bit of carbs)
- Kimchi - add healthy Korean cabbage for spice and flavor
- Seeds - add sunflower seeds, toasted pine nuts, pumpkin or chia seeds
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Avoid - don't use Miracle Whip, regular mayo provides best flavor
- Buttermilk - instead of ½ cup of milk, add ¼ cup of buttermilk with ¼ cup milk
- Less Sugar - reduce sugar, use only ¼ cup of sugar
- Vegan It Up - substitute mayo with a Vegan Mayo so everyone can enjoy
- Celery Seeds - add ½ teaspoon of celery seeds to your dressing
- Sugar Free - substitute sugar with Splenda for a lower calorie dressing
- Red Cabbage - for color, toss shredded red cabbage through the coleslaw
- PRO TIP - to save time, buy a bag of coleslaw from the supermarket 🤣
Can You Make Coleslaw Dressing in Advance?
Yes, place in a glass mason jar, close lid and keep refrigerated. Best used within 1 week.
How Long Does Coleslaw Last?
When you dress your coleslaw with dressing, keep refrigerated until ready to use. Enjoy within 4-5 days
Salad Dressings You'll Love
- Creamy French Dressing
- Zesty Italian Dressing
- Sesame Poppyseed Vinagrette
- Bacon Ranch Dressing
- Garlic Caesar Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Greek Salad Vinaigrette
- Asian Coleslaw with Sriracha Dressing
This Copycat KFC Coleslaw Dressing is better than store bought dressing, is fresher and more economical. Quick and easy side dish to make at a moments notice with everyday ingredients. We don't buy coleslaw dressing anymore, neither should you! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- ½ cup regular mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon super finely minced white onion
- shredded coleslaw mix
- Using a whisk, mix together mayonnaise, sugar, milk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and minced onion until smooth.
- Mix through your coleslaw mix and serve! (It does taste better if you refrigerate for a few hours, but I can never wait!)
© PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally posted June 2015, updated March 2023