This Shrimp Mango Salad will become your favorite summer salad! Ripe, juicy mango pieces tossed with cooked shrimp and avocado. Don't forget the delicious homemade creamy sweet chili dressing. You'll come back to this recipe again and again! Perfect as a side salad, lunch or dinner.
When I think of an Aussie summer, I think of mangoes and prawns (shrimps) and this recipe is an extension of the Australian lifestyle. A Shrimp Mango Salad recipe is the perfect light meal, especially on a hot summer's day.
This salad is especially tasty when mangoes are ripe and in season, we usually buy a whole box of mangoes to enjoy. But that means I'm always looking for mango recipes. My Mango Chili Sauce is always a family favorite.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Shrimp - frozen cooked shrimp defrosted, or grill your own raw shrimp
- Mango - sweet and ripe is best
- Avocado - adds creaminess to your salad
- Leafy Salad Mix - store bought, or use your favorite lettuce
- Green Onions - for flavor
- Cilantro - small bunch roughly chopped
- Sweet Chili Dressing - mixture of Sweet Chili Sauce, Mayo and Lime
Shrimp vs Prawns
I still get confused about the difference between shrimp and prawns. Technically they are different species, however when we eat 'shrimp' or 'prawns' the words are interchangeable.
In the USA, they call them shrimp, and here in Australia they are called prawns. And the bigger the better! So you can use whatever word you like!
What Shrimp Are Best?
It's best to buy raw shrimp and cook them before using. I love grilling King Prawns for this salad. However, if you are in a hurry, you can buy shrimp already cooked and flash frozen, ready to defrost.
While frozen are never as tasty as fresh, they are easier on the wallet and still taste amazing in this salad. These prawn varieties can be easily found in your supermarkets.
- Tiger Shrimp
- White Shrimp
- Banana Prawn
- Blue Shrimp
- Pink Shrimp
How to Make Shrimp Mango Salad
PRO TIP: buy a salad bag of leafy green lettuce and use it as your salad base. If you want to use spinach or fancy Arugula (Rocket), or just a mix of everything, anything will work.
- Preparation - Peel and de-vein the cooked shrimp. If using raw shrimp, boil or grill shrimp.
- Make the Dressing - Mix together mayonnaise, sweet chili and lime juice.
- Layer - Arrange the leafy salad mix in a large bowl. Layer the salad with avocado, green onions, mangoes and topped with the shrimp.
- Drizzle - Be generous when adding the Thai inspired salad dressing.
Sweet Chili Dressing
This is probably my favorite part of the mango salad, the dressing. I am obsessed with sauces and salad dressings. You'll save this dressing as a dipping sauce for other recipes.
The hero of the dressing is the Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. Easily made from scratch and found in supermarkets or Asian grocers.
- Mix together ½ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup sweet chili sauce, juice of ½ a lime.
- Optional: mix chopped cilantro through the dressing for more flavor.
Can You Make This Salad in Advance?
If you want to make this Avocado Mango Salad in advance, be warned that the avocados can go brown when exposed to air. Prepare the salad in advance, but add the avocadoes before serving. Cover with cling wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
To prevent avocado browning, brush the avocado with lemon or lime juice to keep it green. Cover with cling wrap and keep refrigerated, and add to salad before serving. Don't pour the dressing until you are serving your salad.
Seafood Recipes You'll Love
- Grilled King Prawns
- Mussels in White Wine Sauce
- Grilled Lobster with Mango Salsa
- Salt and Pepper Shrimp
- Grilled Octopus with Chorizo
- Creamy Seafood Lasagna
This Avocado Mango Salad recipe with shrimp is delicious, fresh and healthy, can be thrown together very quickly. It's a delicious salad and sure to be a summer favorite. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1½ pounds (750g) Shrimp cooked, peeled and deveined (leave tails on)
- 1 mango cut into cubes or strips
- 1 avocado sliced or cubed
- 10 oz (300g) leafy salad mix
- 2 green onions thinly sliced diagonally
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
Creamy Thai dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- juice of ½ a lime a bit extra for the dressing
- Peel and de-vein the shrimp, leaving the tails intact (optional but looks better).
- Mix together the mayonnaise, sweet chili and lime juice together and set aside.
- Arrange the leafy salad mix in a large bowl, or individual serves.
- Layer the salad with avocado, green onions, mangoes and topped with the shrimp.
- Drizzle with the creamy Sweet Chili Dressing.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally posted in March 2017, updated February 2023