Classic Ham and Cheese Rolls recipe with a Ranch twist, also called Ham and Cheese buns or scrolls. This recipe isn't made with crescent rolls, no Bisquick, no puff pastry, but with a proper yeast dough. Now don't get me wrong, those are all convenient and quick, and would work well, but they lack the real bakery flavour of a freshly baked yeast dough in the oven.
I use a Cuisinart bread maker or bread machine when making all my yeast dough. It's so quick and easy, you just throw in all the ingredients, and 90 minutes later, you have your yeast dough ready to use. And the best part, is that I didn't need to knead any yeast dough!
A Ham and Cheese Rolls recipe doesn't need any sauce for additional flavour, however you can add pizza sauce, mayo, mustard or Ranch dressing to the base, which is my favorite. Another favourite is my Aussie Cheesymite Scrolls, which uses cheese and Vegemite together in a bread scroll.
This Ham and Cheese Roll recipe makes enough for 2 baking trays. If you're going through the effort to make this delicious recipe, might as well freeze an extra bag for later. It's really not double the work, to make twice as much, as this is a large batch of yeast dough. I find my kids usually eat the first tray right away, leaving the second tray for later.
They're great for school lunch boxes, or if the grandkids come over to visit. So quick and easy to make, with so many flavour combinations. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Ranch Ham and Cheese Rolls Recipe
- Dough recipe
- 1 cup milk lukewarm
- ⅓ cup milk lukewarm
- 3 tablespoons melted butter/oil using 15ml measure
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 ¼ teaspoons yeast or a bread machine yeast packet
- Filling ingredients
- Ranch dressing for base or can use no sauce
- 2 cups grated mozzarella and cheddar cheese mixture
- 200 g shaved deli ham
- milk for brushing top of Ham and Cheese Rolls *optional
- Place ingredients, in the order listed, into your bread machine and select the dough program. Should take about 90 minutes to complete the dough cycle.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Cut the dough in half, and roll out each half of the yeast dough into 2 rectangles, about 1cm thick. 1cm thick will give you 12 pieces, ½cm will make 24 smaller Cheesymite Scrolls. Do the next steps to both pieces of dough.
- Spread the Ranch dressing thinly over the yeast dough, leaving a 1cm border around the dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the Ranch Dressing. Add bits of ham on top of the cheese, like you're making a pizza. Roll up the ham and cheese yeast dough firmly until you have a dough log. Start the roll along the long side of the rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the ends off the log and start to cut every 3cm along the dough log. Place the round scrolls on a greased baking sheet. Some people like to keep theHam and Cheese Rolls closely baked together, but I like perfectly round scrolls, so keep them a few centimetres apart from each other. You can cover with cling wrap and place in a warm place for about 45 minutes, allowing the dough to rise further. You can skip this step, but I don't recommend it, as you get a softer roll.
- Brush the Ham and Cheese Rolls lightly with milk. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Allow to cool and enjoy.