These tasty Roasted Potato Wedges are the perfect recipe to use all your fresh herbs from your garden. Baked and not fried, with oven and air fryer instructions. So much flavor, and healthier than frying potatoes or buying french fries!
Fresh Herbs for Potato Wedges
That's one of the great benefits of having a small garden is the fresh herbs that seem to grow everywhere. Truthfully, I tend to plant them absolutely everywhere. Have you seen the price of fresh herbs in the supermarkets? It's great living in Australia, with a climate that allows herbs to grow year round.
Just throw your favorite fresh herbs into the mix, it's that easy. I recommend fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil and parsley. Honestly, any combination of these herbs give great flavor. If you don't have fresh thyme or fresh oregano, it will still be great.
Are Oven Roasted Potato Wedges Healthy?
Oven roasted potato wedges are definitely more healthier than deep fried French fries. I always use extra virgin olive oil when roasting potatoes. Olive Oil has been a part of the Mediterranean diet for thousands of years, and it's considered one of the healthier oils. Potatoes are packed with carbohydrates and vitamins, the health depends on which oils you use and how you prepare them.
What Potatoes are Best for Wedges?
I've never been a huge potato fan, but my wife has slowly won me over to wonderful carb-ness of potatoes. This recipe is so incredibly simple, and my wife makes it to accompany many dishes as a side, or you could just eat it as a meal by itself. These are my favorite roasting potatoes.
- Russet Potatoes - always my go to in North America!
- Australian Royal Blue Potatoes - my favorite Australian fave!
- Desiree Potatoes
- Dutch Creams
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
I love my new Air Fryer, and I'm slowly updating my recipes to include Air Fryer instructions. When using an AF, the potatoes cook faster, and come out crispier than in the oven. Fun fact, an Air Fryer uses less electricity than a conventional oven, so it's win win! Making Air Fryer Potato Wedges only takes about 15 minutes to roast. Compared to a conventional oven, that takes about 30 minutes. Just don't layer the wedges too high in the air fryer. Try to keep it to 1 layer deep of potato wedges for best results.
Seasoning Potato Wedges
I love the herb flavors, and I love spicy food too. The fresh chopped chili peppers are optional, but I like a bit of a kick, and keep the seeds in. The cooking process takes some of the heat out of the peppers, but if you don't like spicy, then skip!
You can use plain seasoning salt, sometimes I use Montreal Steak Spice. However, I love using Maldon Sea Salt Flakes as it brings out the flavor of the herbs and potato without overpowering with spices. Here in Australia, we have Chicken Salt (yes that's a thing) and it's awesome in this recipe.
French Fry Dipping Sauces
No wedges recipe would be complete without dipping sauce suggestions! Here are my favorite sauces to dip French Fries and and these wedges into!
- Sweet Thai Chili Sauce with Homemade Sour Cream
- Creamy Sweet Chili Fry Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Homemade Creamy French Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dip
- Bacon Ranch Dressing and Dip
These crispy Herb Roasted Potato Wedges are definitely an easy side dish your whole family will love with dinner. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Roasted Potato Wedges with Fresh Herbs
- Air Fryer or Oven
- 1 kg potatoes washed unpeeled (about 6 medium potatoes)
- bunch fresh rosemary finely chopped
- bunch fresh thyme finely chopped
- buch fresh oregano finely chopped
- bunch fresh basil finely chopped
- bunch of parsley finely chopped
- 1-2 chilli peppers chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼-1/3 cup olive oil
- sea salt flakes
- Slice the potatoes lengthways into long wedge pieces.
- Put the wedges into a bowl with the chopped herbs, chilli peppers, garlic and olive oil and toss together until coated.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Place a single layer wedges on a large baking sheet, baking for about 35 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Turn the potatoes over at the 20 minute mark, ensuring both sides are crispy. Season with sea salt flakes.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat Air Fryer to 200°C/400°F
- Place the potato wedges, one or two layers deep maximum in the air fryer.
- Air Fry for about 15 minutes. At around 10 minutes of cooking, toss the potatoes in the fryer, so they turn over to ensure they are crispy all over.
- Serve with immediately with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce.