Everyone loves grilled chicken wings. There's something tasty about cooking outside on a bbq. These taste so much better than oven baked wings, especially when cooked over real charcoal briquettes.
This Asian marinade is so easy to make, with ingredients you will already have in your pantry. Soy sauce, sliced onion, garlic and ginger, that's it. For this recipe, I used the minced garlic and minced ginger in a jar, but you can chop real garlic and ginger. This marinade is meant to be super easy to make. They key for the flavor to penetrate right through is to marinate the chicken wings overnight in the fridge. I throw all the ingredients into a Ziplock bag, which is fast and easy to clean up afterwards.
How to Cut Chicken Wings
You can buy chicken wings that are already cut into wingette and drumette, the kind you order in restaurants. However, it's much cheaper to buy the typical whole chicken wing that you roast in the oven. It's easy to slice off the wing tip (at the joint), and cut in half at the middle joint. Locate the joint, using a sharp knife, cut through. I only cut the wing tip off, because when it the grilled chicken wings are cooked, they come apart very easy on my plate. I throw the wingtips into the freezer to use when I make an Instant Pot Chicken Broth. You don't have to cut the wingtips off, they just tend to burn fast when on the bbq and don't look appetizing.
Grilled Chicken Wings on Skewers
Now that you've made the Asian marinade, cut the chicken wings, it's time to decide how you're going to cook them. The easy option is to use your gas barbecue and throw them on the grill to cook. This how I make them in a hurry, or on a weeknight dinner. When I have more time, I use charcoal briquettes to make a real smokey meal. Meat cooked over coals are much tastier than a regular bbq. I often cook with meat on skewers over coals. Making Lamb Shashlik is something we often make as Russians, and skewering chicken wings is the perfect addition.
Whether you're enjoying Grilled Chicken Wings on your Bbq, or on metal skewers, this recipe is a keeper. So easy to make, flavored through to the bone, a great summer bbq recipe. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Grilled Chicken Wings on Skewers (Video)
- 2 lbs /1kg chicken wings
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 small onion sliced optional
- ziplock bag
- Remove the wingtips from the chicken wings.
- Place the chicken wings, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sliced onion into the ziplock bag. Allow to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Prepare a charcoal fire. When the bbq briquettes are white and hot. Spread them evenly over ½ the bbq to allow for a cool spot on the grill.
- Pierce 3 chicken wings onto metal skewers. Place over direct heat for 5 minutes per side. Move over to cool side of indirect heat of bbq. Close lid and allow to cook for about 15 more minutes. Chicken Is safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 165°F/75°C in the thickest part of the wing.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.