Everyone needs an tasty and delicious easy Tartar Sauce recipe, and this one won't disappoint! It's so much tastier than store bought, Tartar Sauce with Dill can be made in minutes. Perfect with Grilled Fish or Beer Battered Fish.
I hate buying store bought Tartar, it's too expensive for what it is, and homemade tartar sauce always tastes better! Plus you probably have most of these ingredients lying around. I always have dill growing in the garden, which is the secret ingredient for this Tartar Sauce recipe.
Tartar Sauce Ingredients
This easy tartar sauce recipe only needs 6 ingredients, and packs amazing flavor! However, this might be made differently from other recipes. You can adjust with different tartar variations by adding capers, tarragon, mustard, pickle relish or parsley. It's ok to mix it up with your favorite ingredients, but here's what you'll need.
- mayonnaise - the creamy base for your sauce
- dill pickles - for a crunchy contrast
- fresh dill - adds a subtle herb flavor
- lemon juice - an acid to cut through the mayo
- sugar - trust me, you need a bit to balance sweetness
- onions - for a tasty tang
What Mayo Is Best For Tartar Sauce?
It's important to start with a great tasting mayo for this recipe. I suggest Hellmans Real Mayo, Best Foods or Heinz Mayo for the tastiest result. As mayo is the base of this recipe, the flavor is very important. Some mayos aren't rich and creamy and taste too vinegar-y. I've made this recipe with Japanese Mayo as well, and that was delicious!
How to Make Homemade Tartar Sauce
This is a quick and easy tartar sauce recipe, that's made in a few easy steps. Trust me, it's worth making!
- thinly slice and dice ½ cup of dill pickles into small cubes
- finely chop a tablespoon of fresh dill
- in a bowl, mix the mayo, chopped pickles, dill, lemon juice and sugar
- using a garlic press, squeeze in the fresh minced onion and juices
- mix and enjoy!
How Long Does Tartar Sauce Keep in the Fridge?
If you don't eat all the Tartar Sauce right away, just store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Because it's made fresh, it should last about 1 week because of all the fresh ingredients.
Why is this Tartar Sauce so Tasty?
The secret to this sauce is the dill pickles and minced onions. What adds a great crunch to this recipe is dill pickles. I use either my homemade Dill Pickles or Costco Vlasic Pickles, and usually have a jar in the fridge. The hardest part of this recipe is chopping the dill pickle pieces into small diced pieces, but it's worth it!
The other ingredient that elevates this homemade Tartar Sauce is using minced onion. It sounds strange, minced onion, but it only takes a few seconds to do. Please don't use onion powder, fresh is best! I use my garlic press, and squeeze through a few pieces of onion, which pulverizes and adds onion juice. It's a game changer in flavor. Don't add any chunky onion pieces.
Flavorful Recipes Using Minced Onion
Minced onion is the secret flavor boost to several of my sauce recipes. Check them out!
- Homemade French Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dip
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs
- Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- Bacon Ranch Dressing
You're gonna love this Tartar Sauce recipe, much tastier than what you buy in a bottle! I smother it all over my fish fillet, and dip my fries in it. It's also a great sauce to dip Butterflied Shrimp or Salt and Pepper Shrimp. I could almost drink it!
Dill Pickle Dip
This recipe could even be used as an easy Pickle Dip for your next party. I usually add an extra diced dill pickle to this dip recipe, with a little bit extra minced onion, and sometimes a tiny bit of grated carrot. It has the crunchy texture of the pickles, with the tang of the onions. Perfect to dip crackers or vegetables for you next party. Make extra as a fry dip with your fish and chips.
Quick and Easy homemade tartar sauce, better than store bought! Made with dill pickles and mayo, perfect for fish fingers or fish and chips, a Seafood Lobster Feast, or a dip you won't be able to stop eating! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup dill pickles finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion minced through a garlic press
- pinch of black pepper
- Thinly slice and dice ½ cup of dill pickles into small cubes.
- Chop a tablespoon of fresh dill.
- In a bowl, miix together mayo, chopped pickles, chopped dill, lemon juice and sugar.
- Using a garlic press, squeeze in the fresh minced onion and onion juice.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Use right away or refrigerate for the flavors to meld together. Enjoy!