It's so easy to make an Instant Pot Lamb Roast! For those who have been following me for a while, you know that I love my Instant Pot. This electric pressure cooker is the best way to make tender, fall apart lamb, beef, chicken or pork. And in true IP fashion, it's much faster to make with less mess to clean!
You might say, cooking lamb for 1½ hours isn't quick, but it's much faster than the traditional 5-7 hour slow roast in the oven! I love how the IP saves time, and especially love my Instant Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni recipe. If you don't have one, you need to buy one!
Easy Greek Lamb
This Greek Style Instant Pot Lamb recipe is so full of flavor, that will take you back to the Greek Isles. Well maybe that's a bit dramatic, however I'm sure you're going to love this recipe. Lamb with Rosemary, Oregano, Bay Leaf and Lemon is the perfect flavor combination. And don't forget the red wine. Oh, and always use fresh herbs, much more flavorful and tastier than the dried herbs.
Preparing the Meat
When making roast lamb, it's always more flavorful to insert garlic cloves in the meat when cooking. Make it the same way that you make regular oven roast lamb. The point of difference for my recipe is that I insert fresh rosemary in the lamb. Using a sharp knife, randomly stab holes in the lamb and insert with garlic and rosemary pieces. The garlic cooks down and is wholly edible. The flavor explosion when you bite a piece of lamb beside the rosemary is amazing. Garlic and Rosemary infused lamb, you won't want it any other way.
How to Instant Pot Pulled Lamb
This is a great pulled lamb recipe. The meat will completely fall apart. Using two forks, just pull apart the lamb pieces, like shredded lamb. This needs to be done while it's hot. You could make pulled lamb sandwiches with aioli mayo, or just serve with vegetables and lamb gravy (like this recipe). While the lamb is cooking, I just tossed the vegetables in olive oil and roasted in the oven. I through the veggies in the oven when the Instant Pot was cooking for an hour (some veggies will cook faster).
After you finishing stabbing and infusing the lamb, you just need to take a few minutes to sear the lamb. It's a one pot meal. Add some oil to the pot and turn it onto Saute function. As it heats up, quickly sear each side of the lamb. Remove the lamb, caramelize in the onions and garlic in the same pot. Add wine to deglaze. I throw in some stock and fresh herbs and lemon and your are done. The Greek flavors are heightened when cooking inside a pressure cooker. You must add at least 1 lemon slice for the flavor to infuse throughout when cooking.
How Long to Cook Instant Pot Lamb
Like I said, the best part of cooking lamb in an Instant Pot is the time you save. If you were to make a slow roasted lamb in the oven, it the meat falls apart, it can take up to 5 hours or more. This Greek Lamb recipe takes only 90 minutes to cook inside the Instant Pot. I use a quick release when making this recipe. You could prepare it in 60 minutes, and allow it to naturally vent. I don't want anyone to burn themselves when doing a quick release of the pressure, so I recommend to vent naturally to be safe. This is the perfect recipe to make a proper meal when you get home from work after a busy day.
Instant Pot Lamb Gravy
When you remove the lamb from the Instant Pot, you are left with the most wonderfully infused gravy stock. However, lamb is very fatty, so there are a few things to do before you can use it. Strain the lamb stock to remove the vegetables and herbs. Using a turkey baster, remove the base of the stock, as the top 1" is all lamb fat. Fatty gravy isn't very tasty or healthy. Add the lamb stock (minus the fat) into the IP and turn on the Saute function. As it heats up, add the thickener.
Russians love using Potato Starch when thickening foods. From gravy like this to a Fruit Kissel, there is a reason we use Potato Starch. You can find Potato Starch in any Asian grocer, and many supermarkets carry it now. In the USA, Corn Starch seems to be there primary thickener, a byproduct of the corn industry. Potatoes are more common in Russia.
However, there is another reason why you don't want to use Corn Starch. Clearer liquids. The gravy made with Potato Starch is clearer and silkier than using Corn Starch. The latter will make the gravy cloudier, and perhaps less appetizing. You'd be surprised when you try it! I use Potato Starch for all my thickening, stored in a funny glass jar. Highly recommend it!
Side Dishes to Serve with Lamb
- Crispy Roasted Moroccan Potatoes
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Potato Bake with French Onion Soup
- Easy Greek Salad
- Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
- Grilled Zucchini
- Greek Meze Feast Ideas
Greek Style Instant Pot Lamb is a one of my wife's favorite recipes that I make. A Pulled Lamb recipe that's easy to make, that we enjoy as a dinner roast. A meat and 3 vegetable dinner that you can easily make after a long day at work. Maybe just don't tell the family how easy it was to make. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker
- olive oil
- 3½ lbs / 1½ kg boneless lamb roast
- 3 stalks fresh rosemary
- 10 cloves of garlic cut into slivers to stuff inside lamb
- 1 onion quartered
- fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup red wine
- juice of a lemon
- 2 slices of lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- lamb stock/drippings
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Prepare the lamb by randomly stabbing with shallow cuts using a small sharp knife, and stuffing ½ the garlic and fresh rosemary pieces. Season the lamb with salt and pepper, and rub all over with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Brown the lamb by heating the oil in the Saute mode in the Instant Pot. Sear the lamb on all sides (about 4 minutes). Remove the lamb and set aside.
- Add the onions and remaining garlic and saute until caramelized (about 5 minutes).
- Add red wine to de-glaze the pan. Add the herbs, chicken stock, juice of a lemon with the lemon slices into the Instant Pot.
- Place the lamb, fat site up, inside the Instant Pot, close lid and set to SEALING.
- Use the PRESSURE COOK setting on high for 90 minutes. Naturally VENT or use a kitchen towel to safely quick release VENT.
- Remove lamb and cover with foil while you prepare the lamb gravy.
- Strain the lamb stock from the Instant Pot, separating the cooked onions and herbs from the lamb stock.
- Using a turkey baster, separate the lamb fat from the lamb stock. Discard the fat.
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE, and pour the lamb stock back in.
- Prepare the potato starch slurry. Add cold water to a glass and mix in the potato starch. Pour into the lamb stock and cook for 2 minutes until it thickens. If you want it thicker, add another teaspoon of starch with water and cook. Serve with the lamb.