Easy no-bake cookies are the perfect recipe to make for Easter and during the Spring. Your kids will love making these super easy chocolate treats. Plus, everyone loves Cadbury Mini Eggs!
Birds Nest Cookies are a tasty treat to make in the spring, but most commonly at Easter. An easy Easter dessert that's kid friendly and adults will love to eat! It's a recipe that my wife makes that she remembers from her childhood. A fun Easter family activity made with Cadbury milk eggs. Everyone loves edible crafts!
What are Birds Nest Cookies?
Would you believe that these are Chow Mein Cookies? Yes, the crispy fried Chow Mein noodles that you by in grocery stores. They are also called Haystacks, because they look like little haystacks or small bird's nests that are covered in chocolate.
A delicious cookie that's perfect for Easter or a spring party and it's only 4 ingredients! They're a kid friendly treat that even the adults will love to eat!
Ingredients You'll Need
- crispy Chow Mein noodles
- chocolate chips
- shredded coconut
- Cadbury Mini Eggs (or chocolate eggs)
How to make Birds Nest Cookies
- melt the chocolate chips
- mix the Chow Mein and shredded coconut together
- mix in the melted chocolate until noodles are coated
- shape into nests and allow to harden
How to Melt Chocolate
Using the microwave is an easy method to melt chocolate. You don't need a double boiler, anyone can use this method. Microwave the chocolate on 50% power for 1 minute. Mix and keep repeating until the chocolate melts. Tips: Don't overheat the chocolate in the microwave, or get any water in it.
Stove Top Method
You might have a double boiler, and already know how to melt chocolate. However, not everyone does. An easy tip to melt chocolate without a double boiler is to use a stainless steel bowl sitting over a saucepan of boiling water. It only takes about 5 minutes, and you still need to be careful not to overheat the chocolate. When the water comes to a boil, remove from heat and keep stirring until the chocolate melts. Don't forget, keep stirring while it's on the boil!
Building Birds Nest Cookies
Sheet Pan Method
This is the easiest method, layer a sheet pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Spoon 2 tablespoons of chocolate Chow Mein onto the paper and form to create a nest. You might need to use your hands, but it will look more like a natural nest. Refrigerate until it sets. Serve with Cadbury Mini Eggs inside the nest.
Muffin Tin Method
Use a Silicone Muffin Tin, because it's easier to remove the birds nest cookies once they're set. Spray with cooking spray and spoon the chocolate Chow Mein into the muffin tin. Use the spoon to form the nest, and your hands won't need to get dirty! Refrigerate until it sets. Serve with chocolate eggs inside the nest.
Birds Nest Cookies Variations
There are a few different ways to make this Easter treat. Change it up and make it your own! Here are my favorite recipe tips!
- Add pretzel sticks! They look 'sticky' which is perfect for a nest, and add a bit of a salty contrast (think salted caramel)
- Mix in cereal, like Corn Flakes or Shredded Wheat
- Peanut Butter - mix through ½ cup of peanut butter into the melted chocolate
- Use Butterscotch/Caramel chocolate chips or use White Chocolate
- If money is no object, use Ruby Chocolate Chips, perfect color for the spring theme!
Easy Desserts You'll Love!
- Monster Cookies made with Smarties
- Honey Joys - Cornflake Cupcakes
- Caramel Rice Krispies Squares
- Easy Apple Turnovers
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake
Easy to make, Chocolate Chow Mein - Birds Nest Cookies are the perfect springtime and Easter treat. Fun to make for Easter weekend, and a big hit with your kids! And did I mention the Cadbury Mini Eggs? YUM! 🤤 Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 12 oz / 400g chocolate chips
- 6 oz / 200g Crispy Chow Mein noodles
- ½ cup /50g shredded coconut
- Cadbury Mini Eggs Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Remove from heat and place a metal bowl, filled with chocolate, firmly on top. Keep stirring until chocolate is completely melted, will take about 5 minutes.
- Place the chow mein noodles and shredded coconut in a bowl. Add the melted chocolate and mix until coated.
Silicone Muffin Pan Method
- Spray the muffin pan with non-stick spray. Spoon the mixture in the pan and lightly press to create a nest or well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Before serving, add the candied chocolate eggs into the nests.
Baking Tray Method
- Line a baking tray with wax paper. Spoon 2 tablespoons to form to create a nest. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Before serving, add the candied chocolate eggs into the nests.