Caramel Rice Krispies is a nostalgic treat from the good old days. A gooey caramel treat, and familiar like traditional Rice Krispies. Easy to make and delicious, just like the original! An easy, no bake dessert your kids will love!
Kelloggs Cereal Recipes
Remember when Kelloggs used to print recipes on the back of their cereal boxes? This was before the internet, and you would cut out the recipe and write it down in your recipe book. This recipe was cut out and saved by my sister about 25 years ago, and was called Caramel Crisps, but really they are just Caramel Rice Krispies Squares. It's a variation of the original Rice Krispy Squares that are made with marshmallows. In this recipe, there is no marshmallows needed!
Kids Birthday Party Recipes
When I was growing up, Rice Krispies Squares was a treat at most kids birthday parties. It might be an old fashioned dessert now, but I still love the nostalgia when eating them. In Australia, Rice Krispies cereal is called Rice Bubbles (still made by Kelloggs), and Rice Krispies Squares are not very common here (and no Rice Bubbles Squares either). In Australia, it's more common to make Corn Flake Honey Joys at kid's birthday parties instead, which I absolutely love. Caramel dessert recipes are also very popular in the fall, especially at Halloween time.
How to make Caramel Rice Krispies
Rice Krispy Squares are so much tastier with caramels. My Caramel Rice Krispies Squares are super easy to make, with only 4 ingredients. You start by melting the caramels, milk, and butter, until they are a soft, gooey, hot caramel sauce. Stir in the Rice Krispies with a wooden spoon until fully coated. Work quickly to press into a greased pan and chill until it sets. Be warned, it starts to set as soon as it starts to cool, work fast!
Kraft Caramels Candy
The hardest thing you might need is the Kraft chewy caramel squares, which are hard to come by in Australia. Werther's makes a similar type of Werther's Chewy Caramels as Kraft makes, but they aren't square. Just don't buy the hard Werther's caramels or they won't melt properly. Jersey caramels are also not the right kind of caramel. Like I said, finding the right caramel is the hardest part, but after that it's smooth sailing. In North America, square caramels are easily found, even in dollars stores. Using Kraft Caramels, I also love making homemade Caramel Apples, perfect as a fall recipe!
- Instead of Rice Krispies, use your favorite cereal like Cocoa Pops, Cocoa Krispies or Corn Pops
- Mix in some candy like sprinkles or some mini marshmallows
- Add a cup of chocolate chips when mixing in the Rice Krispies cereal
- After cutting your Caramel Rice Krispies to serve, slather with some Nutella on top, for a choc caramel treat. Sometimes I use Biscoff spread as well!
Caramel Rice Krispies Squares are so easy to make, and taste amazing when they are still warm. Desserts made with candy may seem ridiculous, but I can't get enough of this nostalgic treat. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Caramel Rice Krispies
- 14 goz /397g chewy caramels (Kraft or Werthers)
- ¼ cup milk
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Melt caramels, milk and butter together over a low heat. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal until completely coated in the caramel mixture.
- Quickly press into a greased 9" square pan and chill until sets. Cut into squares to serve.