Strawberries and Sour Cream is a simple Russian dessert that's so easy to make. A rustic recipe from the old country, that's rich and creamy. Generously smothered on bread, this recipe takes me back to my childhood.
Not Your Typical Russian Dessert
During Strawberry season, I'm always looking for great recipes to use up all the fresh strawberries we picked. This fresh strawberry dessert is an old Russian recipe that babushka would make. Babushka would also make homemade Smetana or Sour Cream, which is of Russian origin. It's full of probiotics, and much tastier than the gelatine thickened mixture sold in grocery stores.
Not the typical fancy cake style dessert, there are so many froo-froo cakes with fancy icing and fruits. Instead, this is a rustic sweet treat that you'd enjoy with Russian tea, or even for breakfast. I call it a sweet peasant treat from the Czarist times. You won't find this in a restaurant menu or store. Just like you have jam on toast for breakfast, you can also enjoy Strawberries and Cream on toast as well! Like having dessert for breakfast!
How to Mash Strawberries
You need to mash strawberries to make this dessert treat. I just use the same masher that I use when I make Garlic Mashed Potatoes. You could throw them all into a small food processor too. Just be careful that you don't pulverize the strawberry too much. It shouldn't be a strawberry puree, ands needs to have small chunks throughout.
Strawberries and Sour Cream
Sour cream is called smetana in Russian, and is a Russian/Eastern European culinary invention. The sour cream in our stores are filled with thickeners and not real sour cream. I make homemade Sour Cream, like babushka did. It keeps this recipe even more authentic.
To make Russian Strawberries and Cream, mix the mashed strawberries with sour cream and sugar. That's how easy it is. When using fresh strawberries, they sometimes need sweetening. I figure that 2 tablespoons of sugar is enough. Adjust sugar as needed. Honestly, I'd eat it with a spoon, and mop it up with bread, it's that good!
- Make your own homemade Smetana, instead of store bought sour cream
- Substitute honey instead of white sugar
- Warm up a Bake at Home baguette to complete this rustic treat
- Use Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream for a healthier lower fat version
Strawberries grow quickly in a short Russian summer, and Sour Cream and bread are staples in Russian food. This dessert just makes delicious Russian sense. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Strawberries and Sour Cream (клубника со сметаной)
- 1 lb /500g fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream or greek yogurt
- fresh baguette bread optional
- Cut washed strawberries in half and place in a bowl.
- Using a potato masher, crush strawberries together until they are mashed. You still want a few chunky strawberry pieces.
- Add sour cream and sugar. Adjust to taste.
- Serve on a piece of bread or baguette.