Chicken and Mushroom Pasta is one of my favorite ways to eat pasta. It's so easy to make, and can be made as a one pot meal. Everyone loves washing less dishes.
Fettuccine means little ribbons in Italian. It's an egg pasta noodle, often made fresh or bought dried. Fresh pasta is always the tastiest, but I don't always have the time to make fresh pasta. I even have the KitchenAid Pasta attachments. I wish I used them more often. You can use any pasta you like in this recipe.
I love the flavor that mushrooms add to pasta dinner. This Chicken and Mushroom Pasta is a classic comfort food that my whole family loves, and I always make enough for leftovers for the next day.
You can use either chicken breast or chicken thighs, its up to you and your diet. For a lower fat recipe, use chicken breasts. Be warned, it will be drier than using chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are more flavorful, are juicier, but have more calories. Isn't that the case for everything that tastes good? Story of my life!
Lower Fat Mushroom Alfredo
To keep the fat content down, instead of using only whipping cream, I use a mixture of cream, stock and milk, thickened with a flour slurry. You can thicken it by adding a cup of parmesan cheese instead of the flour, but that just adds calories!
I always save 1 cup of pasta water, and add the chicken stock powder to make the stock. The starches in the pasta water add flavor and help thicken the sauce. Sometimes I even add bacon to this recipe. The flavors work so well together!
This Chicken and Mushroom Pasta is an easy family dinner favorite. Creamy with caramelized onion and mushrooms. A lower fat alternative, but you'd never know it! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 1 lb /500g pasta noodles
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lb /500g mushrooms sliced
- 2 lbs /1kg chicken breast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
- garnish with freshly chopped parsley
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon of oil, and fry the diced onion until it becomes translucent. Add the mushrooms and sauté until it's all caramelized. Set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining butter and oil and fry the chicken. Add the garlic to the chicken after about 5 minutes of frying the chicken. Fry the chicken until cooked.
- Return to the pan the caramelized onions and mushrooms, Add milk, chicken stock and whipping cream. Heat to a simmer.
- In a small glass, make a slurry with ½ cup water and the flour, mixing so there are no lumps. Add this flour slurry to the chicken and mushroom pasta, allowing to simmer on low until it thickens (about 5 minutes). Optional (add ½ cup grated parmesan to the sauce)
- Finish by adding salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan.