This is one of my favourite gnocchi recipes. I think the tastiest way to enjoy potato gnocchi, is CHEESEBURGER STYLE! Cheeseburger Gnocchi in a skillet is an easy one pan dinner that my whole family loves. Cheesy Gnocchi isn't diet food, it's heavy on carbs, full of flavor.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Fast - a timesaver dinner done in 30 minutes!
- Easy - no pre-cooking gnocchi required
- Tasty - comfort food with carbs, meat and cheese, the kids will love it!
- Economical - budget friendly and filling
What Are Gnocchi Made Of?
Surprise! Gnocchi is not pasta! They're soft dumplings, sometimes made with potato or ricotta cheese. For this recipe, you need to use the potato gnocchi dumplings, found on the shelf in all supermarkets in the pasta aisle. They aren't even refrigerated!
Traditionally gnocchi is boiled in salted water and then served in a sauce. One pan skillet gnocchi recipe is my favorite way to enjoy this easy Italian pasta. Of course, this isn't a traditional Gnocchi recipe, and I'm sorry if I offended any Italians. Mind you, real Italians would probably never buy supermarket gnocchi off the shelf, so maybe I'm ok.
Cheeseburger Gnocchi Ingredients
This Gnocchi recipe is meant to be a fast skillet dinner, based on my love of Bacon Cheeseburgers. It's like a Hamburger Helper recipe made with Gnocchi. This is why I love this recipe. It's different, has the word cheeseburger in it (so the kids will like it). And... you probably already have most of the ingredients at home.
- Potato Gnocchi - 17oz package or 500 grams
- Ground Beef - 1 lb or 500 grams of lean beef
- Onion and Garlic - finely diced
- Spices - Montreal Steak Spice and Cumin
- Red Pepper - chopped
- Can Diced Tomatoes - 14oz can or 400 grams
- Beef Broth - or can use water
- Whipping Cream - ¼ cup heavy cream
- Cheddar Cheese - grated, can also use Marbled Jack Cheese
- Bacon - cooked crispy and crumbled
- Green Onions - adds flavor and color
How to Make Cheeseburger Gnocchi
Homemade skillet meals always taste better than store bought. You'll need a large frying pan or skillet to fit everything in. I'm not talking some strange giant pan, just don't use your smallest frying pan.
- Sauté - onions, garlic and ground beef. Add seasonings.
- Add Vegetables - mix in red peppers, diced tomatoes, beef stock and gnocchi.
- Simmer - bring to boil, reduce heat, cover with lid andsimmer for 5-10 minutes until gnocchi is cooked and tender.
- Make it Cheesy - mix in whipping cream and ½ cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese, bacon and green onions.
- Broil (optional) - Grill under the broiler in the oven for 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Double It - Double the recipe for a proper family meal with leftovers for lunch the next day (use a large, deep skillet).
- Spice Substitute - If you don't have Montreal Steak Spice, use 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, ½ teaspoon Paprika.
- Make it Spicy - saute with red chili pepper or add chili flakes before serving
- Save Time - substitute frying bacon with Hormel Bacon topping
Easy Dinner Recipes You'll Love
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi - super easy, toss and bake
- Easy Chicken Fettuccini - ready in 30 minutes
- Creamy Chicken Stroganoff - Russian comfort food
- Swiss Mac and Cheese - with potatoes, bacon and cheese
- Creamy Tuna Pasta Skillet - budget friendly and tasty
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper - 5 minutes of prep, eating in 30 minutes!
This Bacon Cheeseburger Gnocchi is a perfect meal as a quick dinner recipe, minimal dishes and maximum flavor! Seasoned ground beef cooked with red peppers and tomatoes, topped with bacon and gooey melted cheese. I promise your kids will ask for more. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- large frying pan or skillet
- 1 package Potato Gnocchi 17 oz or 500 grams
- 1 lb (500g) lean ground beef
- 5 slices bacon cooked crispy and crumbled
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 green onions sliced
- 3 teaspoons Montreal Steak Spice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup beef broth or water
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- oil for frying
- 1½ cups grated Cheddar Cheese or Marbled Jack Cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet or frying pan until hot and add the garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes until it starts to caramelize. Add the ground beef and cook until the beef is browned and cooked.
- Season with Montreal Steak Spice and cumin. Add the chopped red peppers and fry for about 2 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, beef broth and potato gnocchi to the beef mixture in the skillet. Stir until mixed and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes until gnocchi is cooked and tender, and the mixture has thickened.
- Take it off the heat, mix in the whipping cream and ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Top with remaining cheese, bacon and chopped green onions. Optional: Grill under the broiler in the oven for 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally published January 2018, updated February 2023