This is one of my favourite gnocchi recipes. I think the tastiest way to enjoy potato gnocchi, is CHEESEBURGER STYLE! Cheeseburger Gnocchi in a skillet is an easy one pan dinner that my whole family loves. Cheesy Gnocchi isn't diet food, it's heavy on carbs, full of flavor.
Cheeseburger Gnocchi - Dinner Time Saver
It's especially great when you're in a hurry and need a fast dinner. Did you ever have those days? When you're running home from work, and have no idea what to make for dinner? Like me, you're probably tired, and sometimes uninspired to cook. Plus people constantly want to be wowed with their dinners, can't make the same thing too often! This is why I love this recipe. It's different, has the word cheeseburger in it (so the kids will like it). And... you probably already have most of the ingredients at home.
Let's assume you have spices at home, onions, garlic, cheese, cream and bacon. All pretty standard stuff in most people's pantries and fridges. So what's left to buy? Ground Beef, Gnocchi, red pepper and a can of diced tomatoes. Oh, and green onions for garnish and flavor too. So with a quick run to the store, to buy a few ingredients, it's not an expensive meal either.
I based this recipe on Hamburger Helper Skillet Meals, an easy one pan dinner popular in North America. Similar to my Instant Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni. These types of meals aren't that common here in Australia and I miss them. Homemade skillet meals always taste better than store bought anyways. Oh, and it's also based on my love for bacon cheeseburgers. What could go wrong, except offending Italians? 🙂
What Are Gnocchi Made Of?
Surprise! It's not pasta! Gnocchi are soft dumplings, made with everything from potato to ricotta cheese. For this recipe, you need to use the potato gnocchi dumplings, found on the shelf in all supermarkets in the pasta aisle. They aren't even refrigerated! Traditionally gnocchi is boiled in salted water and then served in a sauce. One pan skillet gnocchi recipe is my favorite way to enjoy this easy Italian pasta. You could make your own gnocchi, however it would be wasted on a recipe like this. This is a quick dinner recipe, done in 30 minutes.
Of course, this isn't a traditional Gnocchi recipe, and I'm sorry if I offended any Italians. Mind you, real Italians would probably never buy supermarket gnocchi off the shelf, so maybe I'm ok. This Gnocchi recipe is meant to be a fast skillet dinner, based on my love of Bacon Cheeseburgers. It's like a Hamburger Helper recipe made with Gnocchi.
How to Make One Pan Gnocchi
You need a larger frying pan to fit everything in. I'm not talking some strange giant pan, just don't use your smallest frying pan. Sauté the onions, garlic and hamburger meat (ground beef). Season with Montreal Steak Spice and a bit of Cumin. Add some sliced red peppers and cook for about 2 more minutes.
Mix in 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of broth and a packet of your store bought gnocchi. Cover with a lid and simmer for up to 10 minutes until the gnocchi is ready. When it's cooked, add some whipping cream and grated cheese. Top with crispy bacon and green onion for flavor. It's that easy! If you want to be a bit more fancy, add extra cheese and place your one pan gnocchi under the broiler for 2 minutes for a nice cheesy crust! If you love this recipe, you'll also love my easy Sheet Pan Gnocchi which only take 5 minutes to prep!
This Bacon Cheeseburger Gnocchi is a perfect meal as a quick dinner recipe, minimal dishes and maximum flavor! Seasoned ground beef cooked with red peppers and tomatoes, topped with bacon and gooey melted cheese. I promise your kids will ask for more. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb /500g lean ground beef
- 3 teaspoons Montreal Steak Spice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water or beef broth
- 1 package potato gnocchi
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- oil for frying
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet or frying pan until hot and add the garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes until it starts to caramelize. Add the ground beef and cook until the beef is browned and cooked. Season with Montreal Steak Spice and cumin. Add the chopped red peppers and fry for about 2 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, water and potato gnocchi to the beef mixture in the skillet. Stir until mixed and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes until gnocchi is cooked and tender, and the mixture has thickened.
- Take it off the heat, mix in the whipping cream and ½ cup of cheddar cheese. Top with remaining cheese, bacon and chopped green onions. Optional: Grill under the broiler in the oven for 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.