This Chicken Stroganoff recipe is creamy comfort food and what's for dinner tonight! Only 30 minutes to make, perfect over mashed potatoes or noodles. An easy to make hearty dinner, you can't screw it up!
Chicken Stroganoff is the ultimate Russian comfort food! Usually made with beefs strips, this chicken version is creamy, tender and an easy dinner everyone will enjoy. This is my wife's Stroganoff recipe, authentic, flavorful and perfect on a cold winter's night.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy Weeknight Dinner - only 30 minutes of cooking time - this easy recipe is perfect to make after a long day of work, with ingredients you already have in your pantry
- Adaptable - serve with a variety of carbs, from potatoes, noodles or vegetables
- Classic Comfort Food - made with chicken, this recipe is lighter creamier than the original
- Chicken Breast - or chicken thighs are juicier and more flavorful
- Mushrooms and Onion - regular button mushrooms and yellow onion
- Tomato Paste - just a bit adds slight tang
- Sour Cream - even better if you find Smetana
- Flour - to thicken
- Brandy - or cognac, adds flavor and cuts through the cream
- Chicken Stock - for richer seasoning
- Spices - mustard powder, paprika
What to Serve with Chicken Stroganoff
Traditionally in Russia, Chicken Stroganoff is served with a side of thin cut fried potatoes, which might surprise people. As Stroganoff's popularity increased around the world, the meal started to be localized and served with different starches. Here are some of my favorites;
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Pappardelle Egg Noodles or Fettuccine
- Sweet Potato Mash
- Zucchini noodles
- Russian Fried Potatoes
How to Make Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
My wife is such an amazing cook, and this is her Chicken Stroganoff recipe. It's one of my favorite comfort food dinners, perfect on a cold winter's night. This recipe is authentic and easy to make.
- Fry Chicken - sauté the chicken pieces in butter, set aside
- Saute Vegetables - sauté mushrooms and onions until they are soft and cooked
- Add Spices - mix in mustard powder, paprika and flour. Stir in tomato paste and cook for a minute
- Pour Brandy - be generous
- Mix Together - add the chicken pieces and chicken stock
- Stir and Season - finish by adding sour cream, season with salt and pepper and serve!
There are many different versions of Stroganoff now, from Japan to Brazil, all having their own little differences. Feel free to experiment to make this chicken stroganoff recipe your own with these ideas.
- Japanese Stroganoff - served with buttered rice and parsley
- Nordic Stroganoff - add sausage to recipe
- Brazilian Stroganoff - add canned corn, ketchup, and even shrimp!
- American Stroganoff - usually served on egg noodles (like this recipe)
- Beef Stroganoff - yup, make the original recipe using beef strips
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Fancy Mushrooms - any mushroom will work, Button Mushrooms, Portobello, Chanterelle Mushrooms, Porcini, or Morel Mushrooms
- Brandy Substitute - try dry sherry, or white wine
- Alcohol free Stroganoff - add extra chicken stock for more flavor with splash of apple cider vinegar
- Toss to Coat - before serving, toss egg noodles through the sauce in the saucepan
Side Dishes to Serve with Chicken Stroganoff
While Chicken Stroganov (new spelling) is usually served by itself, as the hero dish for dinner. However, it's great to add extra vegetables to your diet. If serving vegetables sides, try these family favorites.
- Roasted Garlic Asparagus
- Green Garden Salad
- Garlic Butter Green Beans
- Bell Pepper Salad
- Butter Fried Peas
Can I Substitute Sour Cream?
While Sour Cream (Smetana) is the traditional Russian method, you can try different ingredients. Use Greek Yogurt, Whipping Cream (heavy cream), Cream Cheese, or even Coconut Milk.
- Fridge - allow to cool and refrigerate in an airtight container. Enjoy within 4 days. Reheat in a frying pan, add a cream and chicken stock to rehydrate.
- Freezer - best to freeze chicken stroganoff without noodles. Place in a Ziploc bag or air tight container. Freeze up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge before reheating in a sauce pan.
Easy Dinner Recipes For You
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi
- Linguine Vongole (with Clams)
- Russian Veal Orloff Casserole
- Easy Chicken Fettuccine
- Lasagna Stuffed Pasta Shells
If you follow the instructions, you honestly can't screw it up. This authentic Russian recipe tastes nothing like the pre-made Stroganoff in jars. Give it a try, tastes just like babushka's recipe. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 lb (500g) chicken breast or chicken thighs sliced or diced
- ¾ lb (375g) mushrooms halved then sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup brandy be generous with your measure
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- fresh parsley
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan on medium high heat. Fry the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Sauté the onions and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of butter, until they are soft and start to caramelize.
- Sprinkle the flour, mustard powder and paprika over the mushroom and onions, and mix throughout. Add the tomato paste and allow to cook for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the brandy. Stir to ensure there are no lumps and allow the alcohol to slightly cook out ( about 1 minute).
- Add the chicken pieces and chicken stock.
- Stir in the sour cream, add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley. Serve over egg noodles, pasta, rice or potatoes.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally published December 2015, updated April 2023