Everyone loves an easy recipe, especially if it tastes amazing! Creamy Potato Bake with French Onion Soup are so easy to make and full of flavor, and only uses 4 ingredients! This is my Potato Bake for 8 recipe! I suppose it depends on how much you eat. By right portion size, this will feed 8, but you're going to want to have seconds, so maybe 6 is a better amount.
If you love potatoes, then this is the perfect side dish. Potatoes are such a staple in our western diet, from Garlic mashed Potatoes, Pan Fried Potatoes to Roasted Potato Wedges. It's a hit of carbs which I know that I crave with my meals. It's slightly different from a Russian Potato Bake called Veal Orloff. Also easy to make, but slightly different, I love the addition of thin steaks.
I love the flavors in this recipe, a Potato Bake with French Onion Soup recipe. It was our friend Bec who had us over for dinner and made this for us, and I had to share and blog it! An easy recipe with potatoes with French Onion soup. I love an easy recipe that tastes great too.
How to Make an Easy Potato Bake
Everyone looks for time saving tips when making dinner. All you need is a dry French Onion Soup packet from your grocery store. Mix that with whipping cream and pour over your sliced potatoes. Then add grated cheese. This is not diet food, but should be renamed Heart Attack Potatoes. That doesn't have a very marketable name.
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
Creamy Potato Bake vs Scalloped Potatoes and even Potatoes Au Gratin are all very similar dinner side dishes. Au Gratin typically has a cheesy bread-y topping, and quite often only with cheese. Scalloped Potatoes are just usually cooked in cream. This Au Gratin Potato Bake with French Onion Soup is a combination of the two. In the video I use a Monterrey Jack Cheese, but you can add any cheddar cheese you like. I also call this my French Onion Scalloped Potatoes, so if you're confused, you're not alone!
- Pre-slice the potatoes the night before and keep in the fridge, immersed in cold water
- Remember to rest the potatoes when taken out of the oven, this allows the dish to solidify and not be too "soupy" - Rest for 10-15 minutes (don't worry, they will still be hot)
- Caramelize some sliced onions to place on top of the potatoes when cooking
- Instead of using only whipping cream, you can add 1 cup of sour cream with 1 cup of whipping cream for a different flavor.
Creamy Potato Bake with French Onion Soup is a cheap and easy recipe to make, and even though it's a heart attack on a plate, it's sure to be a family favorite! It's my favourite Potato Casserole that's a perfect for holidays and your weeknight dinner. Just remember to go for a jog afterwards. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Creamy Potato Bake with French Onion Soup (Video)
- 3 lbs /1.5 kg potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 packet French Onion Soup mix 40g/1.4oz
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Layer the sliced potatoes in a medium baking dish or casserole dish. I used 12"x7" dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the whipping cream and the packet of French Onion Soup mix until combined. Pour over the potatoes and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Remove foil, add the cheese and bake for ten minutes until golden brown. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.