There are so many Meat Pie Recipes around the world, and the Aussie Meat Pie is one of my favorites! An Australian classic enjoyed by young and old. Enjoyed as individual pies or family size. Some people call this the "National Dish" of Australia.
What is an Australian Meat Pie?
If you've ever had the privilege of travelling to Australia, you would most likely have had the pleasure of eating a delicious Aussie meat pie. It's a small hand pie, stuffed with ground beef, or chunks of steak, onions, sometimes mushrooms or cheese. Made with a puff pastry crust, and a short crust pastry base.
Where to buy an Australian Meat Pie?
You don't! You make it at home! Well, you could find places that sell Australian Steak Pies from San Fransisco to to NYC, but it's easy to make this classic dish at home! When in Oz, they are found at every gas station, corner store, school cafeteria, take aways, stadiums, events and more! Basically everywhere, but a homemade meat pie taste so much better (especially with red wine and fresh rosemary)!
How to make Meat Pies?
It's tastier to follow this Meat Pie recipe than buying one from your local shop. Some recipes are unnecessarily difficult, asking you to make the short cut pastry or puff pastry from scratch. That's completely unnecessary! Just go to the supermarket and buy frozen puff pastry and short crust pastry, it's already rolled out into sheets! Prepare the meat and you're ready to go!
What meat is best for Meat Pies?
Most commonly a beef Skirt Steak is used when making an Aussie Meat Pie. This is the most flavorful cut of beef, and most commonly used when making Fajitas and Stir Fries. Some people use Chuck Steak. It doesn't have to be beef, commonly chicken or lamb is used, and even more common, ground beef. I love a Thai Curry Chicken Pie, but will share that recipe later!
Tips for a Meat Pie Recipe
- use individual enamel pie pans (make sure you grease it)
- make a large family pie with the same recipe (8" pie pan)
- add Oregano alongside the Rosemary in the meat
- use this recipe to make a Cottage Pie - instead of a Puff Pastry top, cover with mashed potato instead!
- Use ground beef (beef mince) instead of cut steak
- Add extra vegetables to the mix, like carrots, corn or celery
There are so many Meat Pie Recipes around the world, and the Aussie Steak Pie is one of my favorites! A beef meat pie with chunks of steak braised in a red wine gravy with fresh rosemary. So simple to make! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Australian Meat Pie Recipe
- 2 sheets frozen short crust pastry
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1½ lbs/750g steak cubed in small pieces
- oil for frying
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1½ cups beef stock
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water for slurry
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the onions and garlic for a few minutes until they are translucent. Add the cubed beef pieces and cook for about 5 minutes until browned.
- Add the tomato paste, rosemary, beef stock, red wine, Worcestershire sauce and simmer for an hour.
- When the meat is tender, make a slurry with the cornstarch and water and add to the meat. Cook for a few minutes to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste, allow to cool (in the fridge) before proceeding.
- Lay the short crust pastry on the countertop. Place the pie bases upside down on the pastry Use the pie bases as a guide to cut out the shape of the pie. Cut the pastry slightly larger than the pie base.
- Lay the puff pastry on the countertop. Using the same method, cut the puff pastry the same size as the pie base. This will be the top of your pie.
- Place the short crust pastry inside the greased pie dish. Brush the edges with the beaten egg. Fill the pie with the beef chunks. Cover with the puff pastry top. Using a fork, press the edges to seal. Trim excess dough. Brush puff pastry with egg wash.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve with Ketchup.