Here's a really easy scone recipe, made with a surprise ingredient, 7 UP or Sprite! It's a classic Australian Scone recipe, one that my wife made for me about 20 years ago. Perfect recipe for the kids to make for breakfast, Mother's Day or with a cup of tea.
What are Lemonade Scones?
In Australia, they call this recipe Lemonade Scones, an easy way to make homemade scones. If you're from the States, it's not what you think! There is no lemons in this recipe! Australians call all lemon-lime soft drinks like 7 Up or Sprite as Lemonade. It's not fresh squeezed lemon juice, commonly known as lemonade. This sounds confusing, but it's not really. Just use 7 UP when making this recipe!
How to Make Self Raising Flour
Self raising flour is very commonly used in Australia, UK, and even in the southern states of the US. Any supermarket in Australia sells this type of flour. If you can't find self raising flour, you can easily make your own. For each cup of regular flour, add 1½ teaspoons of baking powder and a pinch of salt. It's that easy to make self raising flour!
How to make Easy Scones
The easy part of this recipe is that it's a 3 ingredient scone recipe. Self raising flour, whipping cream and Sprite or 7up, how easy it that? You just place the ingredients into a bowl and mix to combine. The dough should be soft and tacky.
It's important to not over mix the dough. This will bake hard and tough scones. Try to handle the dough as little as possible. On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough gently and cut the round scone circles. Be gentle. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. You can lightly brush them with milk before baking for a nicer finished scone.
Tips for Serving 3 Ingredient Scones
- make ahead and store in an air tight container
- scones freeze really well to be enjoyed later
- usually served with jam and whipped cream
- try serving with homemade Passionfruit Curd or Lemon Curd
- don't use light whipping cream, the recipe needs the heavy cream
An Easy Scone Recipe made with 7 Up or Sprite. Known as Lemonade Scones in Australia, made with only 3 ingredients! Serve with jam and fresh whipped cream, the perfect accompaniment for Lemonade Scones (Sprite Scones)! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Easy Scone Recipe with 7 Up!
- 3 cups self raising flour*
- 1 cup whipping cream not light
- 1 cup 7-UP
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C fan forced.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, lightly. Carefully mixing until they are combined. The dough will be soft and tacky.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, to about 1" thick. Using a 2" round cookie cutter, cut about 8 round pieces. Place them close together on a lightly greased sheet or on baking paper. (Optional: brush scones lightly with milk.)
- Bake for 15 minutes, until they're golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with jam and fresh whipped cream.