I love a tasty coleslaw, but its the Coleslaw Dressing that makes or breaks the salad. When my wife moved to Canada, I took her to Canadian KFC, and when she saw the coleslaw, she asked “Why is the coleslaw fluorescent green?” It was something that nobody had ever asked me before. Was the bright green KFC coleslaw in Canada really that different? In short, YES.
Now that being said, I love the Canadian KFC coleslaw, and it took me years to get used to regular coleslaw. I have no idea how they make it bright green or flavour it so tasty. So if you are looking for the Canadian KFC Coleslaw Recipe, this isn’t it. I’m sure it comes out of some factory on a conveyor belt, with enough green glow to power a small city. Ok, obviously not, but I don’t think a home cook can recreate Canadian KFC coleslaw.
Back to my recipe, which is based on old the Aussie recipe, without any horseradish flavouring. There are other copycat recipes out there, using tarragon vinegar, or buttermilk, but seriously, those aren’t staples at my house. There is debate about using Miracle Whip, which would add a certain tang, but I haven’t tried it (let me know if you do). This recipe goes great with my Asian Coleslaw recipe.
I find this recipe quick and easy to make at a moments notice, tasting just like KFC. We don’t buy coleslaw dressing anymore, neither should you! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- ½ cup regular mayonnaise (not low fat)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2½ tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons of white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of super finely minced salad onion (not brown onion)
- Using a fork, mix together mayonnaise, sugar, milk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and onion until smooth.
- Mix into your coleslaw mix and serve! (It does taste better if you refrigerate for a few hours, but I can never wait!)