Farmers Cheese or Tvorog (творог) is such a time saver when making fresh cheese. There are many different ways to make fresh cheeses, and they’re called by many names from different cultures. Tvorog or Quark, White Cheese, Gvina Levana, Twarog, Fresh Cheese and many more names. This is the easiest way to make cheese for beginners, you're going to love it!
This easy Tvorog is a soft, tasty cheese that Russian's farmers have made for centuries. Although not quite mainstream yet, it is available in specialty grocery stores in Australia, and more commonly found in North America and Europe. Traditionally, this cheese was made with raw milk which has been allowed to sour naturally. If you are looking for a traditional, natural tvorog recipe which is full of probiotics and health benefits, then see my Farmers Cheese Tvorog from Greek Yogurt but that recipe takes 3 days (good things take time)!
How Do You Make Farmers Cheese?
This is an easy tvorog shortcut recipe to bypass the naturally souring curdling process simply by adding a souring agent. In my case I use lemons, as my lemon tree seems to give me unending lemons, but you could also use white vinegar. I think it tastes milder than traditional tvorog, but still as tasty. If you are using Farmers Cheese or Tvorog in a recipe, and you are wondering what to substitute it with, don't. Give this easy recipe a try.
Farmer's Cheese can be made with cow's milk, goat's milk or sheep's milk. Each milk will impact the flavor in it's own way. Cow's milk is the most common way available.
What can you make with Farmer's Cheese?
Farmers Cheese Tvorog is very common in Russian and Ukrainian cooking. Here are some of my favorite Tvorog recipes. Goose's Feet Cookies are make with Tvorog, and resemble geese feet. Vareniki are pierogi dumplings that are stuffed with tvorog. Blinchiki or Blintzes are Russian crepes that are rolled and stuffed with the cheese. Syrniki are Fried Cheese Pancakes popular for breakfast. Vatrushka is a sweet cheese yeast pastry, and finally Paskha Cheesecake which is popular at Easter.
If you've ever wanted to make your own homemade cheese, this Farmers Cheese recipe is where you start! The perfect introduction the cheesemaking. Plus it will be made quicker than running to the grocery store to buy or finding a substitute. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Farmers Cheese Tvorog (творог) + VIDEO
- 4 litres of milk whole or full cream
- a pinch of salt
- juice of 2 large lemons about ⅔ cup
- Put the milk into a large pot with a lid, and add a pinch of salt.
- Heat the milk on medium high heat, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. When the milk begins to start to boil (small bubbles appear at the edges of the pan), remove from heat.
- Remove from stove and add the lemon juice into the hot milk and stir.
- Allow the curdled mixture to cool, for about 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, place a colander lined with cheesecloth ready for the tvorog mixture.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the lined colander. The curds stay in the cheesecloth and the whey in the bowl.
- Tie the muslin into a knot to drain. Hang on a faucet over the sink for at least 4 hours, or on a kitchen cupboard handle with a bowl underneath, but best in the colander in the fridge overnight (or until you are happy with the consistency of the tvorog).
- Reserve some whey in a glass jar and refrigerate for future use in breads or crepes.
- Untie the muslin and enjoy your tvorog!