When I think of an Aussie summer, I think of mangoes and prawns (shrimps) and this recipe is an extension of the Australian lifestyle. Prawn Mango Salad or Shrimp Mango Salad is the perfect light meal, especially on a hot summer’s day.
I still get confused about the difference between shrimp and prawns. Technically they are different species, however when we eat ‘shrimp’ or ‘prawns’ the words are interchangeable. In the USA, they call them shrimp, and here in Australia they are called prawns. And the bigger the better!
Asian Tiger Prawns are big, very popular and are easily found. You don’t have to buy raw shrimp then ‘throw a shrimp on the barbie’. If you are in a hurry, you can buy them already cooked and frozen, ready to defrost.
The Shrimp Mango Salad dressing made with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce is one of my favorites, and I also use it as a dipping sauce for shrimp instead of seafood cocktail sauce. Shrimp Mango Salad can be thrown together very quickly, is fresh, delicious sure to be a summer favorite. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1½ pounds/750g Tiger Prawns (shrimp), cooked, peeled and deveined (leave tails on)
- 1 mango, cut into cubes or strips
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed.
- 10oz/300g leafy salad mix
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup mayonaisse
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- juice of ½ a lime
- Peel and devein the prawns, leaving the tails intact (optional but looks better).
- Mix together the mayonnaise, sweet chili and lime juice together and set aside.
- Arrange the leafy salad mix in a large bowl, or individual serves.
- Layer the salad with avocado, green onions, mangoes and topped with the shrimp.
- Drizzle with the Thai Sweet Chili Mayo Dressing.