Quick Pickled Chillies are a tasty condiment for spicing up stir fry dishes, soups, Asian rice dishes, burgers, or Russian ones such as Plov. It’s also a great way to punch up a hot dog in a bun, much tastier than plain ketchup and mustard (so spicy)! I love pickled foods. Dill Pickles and Quick Pickled Pattypan Squash taste amazing on burgers, you need to try it! I have so many chilli peppers growing in my garden, and it seemed like they ripened all at once. It’s always convenient to have fresh chillies growing in the garden, but I had 1kg/2lbs of ripe chilli peppers, so many peppers.
Quick Pickled Chillies recipe are a great way to preserve your peppers, so you can eat them when you’re ready. I don’t seal and “can” the jar of peppers, so it can be kept unrefrigerated, I always keep them in the fridge. If you want the whole canning process, check my Canned Pickled Russian Tomatoes recipe. I just I love the vinegar-y pickled infused blast of flavour it adds to my meals. It only takes 20-25 minutes tops, and is so easy to make. Pickled and fermented foods taste amazing, and are becoming a lost art, this recipe is so easy, it’s worth a try! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 500g red Chilli peppers
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon celery seeds (optional)
- Wash the whole chilli peppers, then pierce them 4-5 times with a toothpick.
- In a saucepan, place the vinegar, water, salt and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Place the bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, coriander seeds and celery seeds in the bottom of the sterilised glass jar. Tightly pack the pricked chilli peppers inside the jar.
- Carefully fill the jar with the hot brine, completley submerging the the chillies with the brine. Leave a ¼" gap from the top of the jar.
- Close the jar and allow to cool on the counter overnight. Keep refrigerated. It's best to allow the chillies to infuse for a few days before eating. If the brine levels are lower than the chillies, add more brine, or the chillies may turn brown from the exposure the air.