Coming from North America, bread bowl dips were very common at parties. You can prepare it in advance and take it along a picnic or even to the beach. My favourite dip is an easy Spinach Dip which is made with a package of Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix and frozen spinach, which sound strange but is delicious! This dip is served inside a hollowed out cobb loaf or sourdough bread, creating a bread bowl full of dip. It’s so good, people will even eat the bowl, trust me! If you love dips, check out my hot Cheesy Crab & Artichoke Dip.
Knorr doesn’t make dried vegetable soup packages here in Australia. The closest thing I can find is Continental Spring Vegetable Soup Mix 30 grams available at Coles Supermarket. The original recipe has one small can of water chestnuts added for crunch, but I usually don’t have this readily available in my cupboard, so I usually omit but its an option if you like. I add one cup of grated cheese, usually whatever block of cheese I have in the fridge, mozzarella or cheddar (because this recipe doesn’t have enough fat content in it!) Make sure you squeeze the spinach as dry as you can, using your hands. After its cooked, spinach releases lots of water, which will ruin your dip.
You could use Light Sour Cream and Fat Free Mayo, but it really doesn’t taste the same as the full fat products. Instead of Sour Cream, you could use plain Greek Yogurt. This easy Spinach Dip recipe is really quick to make, and is a proven crowd pleaser! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 package of dry vegetable soup mix
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 250g package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed completely dry
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 1 small can of water chestnuts drained and chopped (optional)
- 1 large round unsliced loaf of bread
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together except the loaf of bread. Chill for about 2 hours to allow the flavours to meld together.
- To make a bread bowl from your loaf of bread, using a knife, hollow out the insides creating a bowl. With the bread you removed, cut them into cubes and set aside to go with your dip.
- When you are ready to serve, put the dip inside your bread bowl and serve with bread cubes, cut vegetables (carrot sticks, celery, broccoli) or with crackers and potato chips.