I love Kimchi Rice, it's my favorite of all the fried rice recipes out there! Dinner done in 30 minutes, perfect for a busy weeknight. This Kimchi Fried Rice is super easy, with video instructions to help.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Economical - a filling meal, especially popular among university students in Korea
- Easy - a stir fry recipe ready to eat in 30 minutes (faster if you skip the chicken)
- Zhuzh Up Dinner- an authentic Korean recipe that's not your usual stir fry, excite your tastebuds
What is Kimchi Rice?
Kimchi Fried Rice is a popular dish from Korea, which is called kimchi-bokkeumbap. It can be made with only 2 ingredients, rice and fermented kimchi, stir fried in a wok, but this recipe adds chicken and flavors you have in your pantry.
- Rice - short grain rice is traditional, medium if you must but never long grain, jasmine or basmati rice
- Kimchi - easily found in Costco or in your local Asian grocer
- Chicken Breast - one of the most popular cuts of chicken, perfect for stir frying
- Gochujang - a Korean chili paste made from soybeans, packed with umami, spice and color for your rice
- Soy Sauce - a light soy sauce adds flavor
- Sesame Sauce - rich sesame flavor adds subtle depth to your rice
How to Make Kimchi Rice
This is the easiest fried rice recipe that I know! Much easier to make than any other fried rice. This a larger recipe that will feed 4-6 people compared to many other recipes out there.
- Fry - stir fry onions and thinly sliced chicken (to ensure fast cooking)
- Add - kimchi to the wok
- Mix - ensure rice is cooled, mix together with Kimchi
- Season - add soy sauce, sesame oil and Gochujang
- Garnish - serve with fried egg and green onions
How to Serve Korean Fried Rice
Korean Fried Rice is served as an easy lunch or dinner, or can be enjoyed as a side dish with your favorite Asian meal or Korean bbq.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Day Old Rice - Plan ahead and make the rice the night before, or make extra to use for this recipe
- Homemade Kimchi - has the best flavor and it's easy to make, the riper and more pungent there fermented kimchi is, the tastier!
- Kimchi Juice - yup, that's a thing - adds so much flavor to your rice
- Vegetables - add extra vegetables like grated carrot and mushrooms, even a bag of frozen vegetables will work
- Garnish - add toasted sesame seeds or strips of roasted seaweed
- Pro Tip - while the rice is cooking, prepare the fried egg (sunny side up) to serve on top with your fried rice.
Meat Additions to Korean Rice
Korean Fried Rice can be vegetarian, and this recipe is made with chicken breast. However consider other proteins like the Koreans do!
- Chicken Thighs
Storing Korean Rice
- Fridge - keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- Freezer - place in a freezer safe container and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw in fridge for 24 hours before use, re-heat in wok or frying pan for best texture.
Kimchi Fried Rice with Chicken is one of my favorite spicy Korean dinner recipes. So easy to make, economical and a great introduction to Korean cooking. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- Wok or a deep frying pan
- 3 cups uncooked rice short grain or medium grain
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 chicken breast thinly sliced
- 2 cups kimchi chopped and kimchi juice saved
- 1 tablespoon Gochujang
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil to taste
- Day old or leftover rice is best when cooking fried rice.
- Place 3 cups of washed rice and 4½ cups of water in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat (without lid).
- Cover with lid, turn heat down to low, and cook for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool before use. While rice is cooking, prep and start the cooking process.
Kimchi Fried Rice
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Saute onions until they start to sweat. Add the thinly sliced chicken pieces and fry until cooked.
- Squeeze out the kimchi and save the liquids to add with the rice. Toss the kimchi into the wok mixture and fry for a few minutes. Mix in the Gochujang paste.
- Add the rice, kimchi juice, soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir until it’s evenly mixed.
- Serve with fried egg and garnish with green onions.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com originally published July 2020, updated March 2023