Kavardak Beef Stew with Potatoes (Кавардак)
A classic winter beef stew made with beef or lamb, potatoes and carrots. Common in Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and across Soviet countries. Kavardak Beef Stew with Potatoes (Кавардак) Recipe
Servings 4 people
- 1 lb /500g beef or lamb cubed into 2" chunks
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions cut in half, sliced into rings
- 2 carrots sliced into chunky pieces or sliced into match sticks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper chopped into 2" pieces
- 5 medium potatoes quartered or sliced into thick pieces
- 2 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
In a stock pot, heat the oil and brown the beef. Cook until the water releases and cooks away (about 10 minutes). When the water has evaporated, add 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
Add the onions to the meat and sauté until softened. (about 7-8 minutes)
Mix in the carrots, garlic and red pepper to the meat mixture and sauté for about 5 minutes
Add the potatoes, beef stock and 1 bay leaf. The water may not cover the potatoes, that is ok, this is not soup, but a stew.
Bring to a boil, cover with a lid. Reduce and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft and cooked. Add coriander and cumin, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.