Looking for the best smoked turkey leftovers recipe? These Turkey turnovers are quick and easy to make, people will think that you bought them. Puff Pastry stuffed with leftover turkey, cranberry sauce, cheese and thinly sliced onion. The perfect flavor combo for a family snack, or for lunch. They're also sometimes called Turkey Puffs.
Most people make a Roast Turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I usually make Smoked Turkey at our house. Also I get sick of boring turkey leftovers, so am always finding new, creative ways to use up leftover turkey.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Economical - Puff Pastry is cheap to buy and it's an easy way to use smoked turkey leftovers
- Different - not the usual holiday leftover recipe, everyone will love this because it doesn't taste like the typical turkey recipe
- Leftover Turkey
- Store bought Puff Pastry
- Swiss Cheese Slices
- Cranberry Sauce
- Thinly Sliced Onion
- Egg Wash (egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon of milk)
How to Make Turkey Turnovers
This is such an easy recipe to make, even the kids will happy to help. Plus they'll love eating these a snack later!
- Preheat oven to to 350°F/180°C and prepare baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut each puff pastry square into 4 equal pieces
- Layer a piece of Swiss Cheese in centre of each square.
- Spoon cranberry sauce, add turkey pieces and onion slices on the cheese
- Fold puff pastry to make a triangle. Press down the edges to seal with a fork
- Prepare egg wash by beating one egg yolk with a teaspoon of milk. Brush the egg was over each puff pastry
- Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown
Turkey Turnover Cheese Variations
Turkey and Cheese Turnovers are often made with cream cheese. It'ss a stronger flavored meat, which tastes a bit gamey, therefore needs a cheese that has some bite. I used Swiss Cheese slices, which is still mild, but has a slightly sharp and nutty flavor. It think it's perfectly balanced with the cranberry sauce, onions and turkey.
- substitute Swiss Cheese with Brie or Camembert Cheese
- add leftover stuffing inside the pastry
- use any holiday leftovers like mashed potatoes, ham or sweet potatoes
- change the shape from a triangle, make square turnovers using 2 pastry squares
- make Chicken Turnovers - switch out the turkey to enjoy year round
Leftover Smoked Turkey Recipes
This turkey turnover will become your favorite leftover smoked turkey recipes. It's a great snack for the inevitable family movie night during the holidays. Plus you can freeze them to enjoy later, or eat them for dinner. Dip them in more cranberry sauce or your leftover gravy. I'm actually looking forward for leftovers this year. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 package of puff pastry
- leftover turkey
- swiss cheese slices
- cranberry sauce
- ½ onion sliced thinly
- egg wash egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon of milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C in a fan forced oven. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut puff pastry sheet into 4 squares. Lay a slice of Swiss Cheese on the centre of the square. Place a tablespoon of cranberry sauce, turkey and onions on the cheese. Fold the puff pastry over to make a triangle. Using a fork, press down the edges to seal the turnover.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolk and milk to make the egg wash. Brush the egg mixture over each puff pastry turnover.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.