What could make Macaroni and Cheese even tastier? By adding Sweet Potato, of course! This recipe takes comfort food to the next level!
As it gets colder, I think we all start to eat heavier, comfort foods. I know I don't always make enough room for vegetables and salads as much as I should. I love that this recipe uses Sweet Potato, a great way to hide extra vitamins in your dinner!
Are Sweet Potatoes healthy?
Sweet potatoes are only distantly related to regular white potatoes. They are also not the same thing as yams, although some stores pass them off as the same thing (they are not). Sweet potatoes are a tropical plant, with origins in Central and South America. They're a great source of fibre and Vitamin C, Calcium, the B vitamins, and is high in Beta Carotene. Beta Carotene is what gives Sweet Potatoes the orange color.
This Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese recipe isn't made like your typical American style Mac n Cheese. Traditionally they're made by making a cheese sauce using a roux. This Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese recipe is based on the Swiss style recipe, which uses potato as well.
How to Make Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
This recipe couldn't be any simpler. To make the sauce, you need to add milk to the pasta, and slowly mix in Swiss Cheese as it melts. The sliced Sweet Potato gets mixed in last. Bacon and caramelized onions add a great flavor kick added on top when serving. Sometimes I just throw it all in and mix it together so the flavors combine.
This Easy Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese is made with Swiss Cheese and bacon. It's the tastiest comfort food, perfect to eat any time of year. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 lb /500g Sweet Potatoes sliced
- 16 oz /500g Penne or macaroni
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ lb /250g bacon sliced
- 1 lb /500g Swiss cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Slice the sweet potatoes into ½" slices. Place in a saucepan, bring to a boil until cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the Penne according instructions, drain and set aside. (Do NOT overcook the pasta)
- Fry the sliced bacon in a frying pan, set aside.
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and fry the onions and minced garlic until they are caramelized.
- Mix together the penne and milk over medium heat, stirring constantly. As the milk heats through, slowly add the grated cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep stirring until it turns into a cheesy sauce. Mix in the sweet potatoes.
- Serve immediately, topped with the caramelized onions and bacon.