Bread Bowl Spinach Dip is the easiest appetizer to make! No baking required, it's ready in 10 minutes! It's a classic spinach appetizer, perfect for your next Super Bowl party or family get together. Everyone will love this crowd pleasing party dip.
Coming from North America, bread bowl spinach dip was a popular party appetizer. You can prepare it in advance, enjoy it on a picnic or on a family games night! It's so good, people will even eat the bowl, trust me! Some of my popular game day recipes are Hot Crab & Artichoke Dip, Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs, and my Blue Cheese Dip.
Knorr Spinach Dip
Aside from the spinach, the hero of the recipe is the Knorr Vegetable Soup mix. Available in any supermarket, it's an easy way to make a vegetable soup. However, I don't know anyone who makes soup that way, everyone buys the Knorr Vegetable Soup mix to make an easy Spinach dip!
Knorr doesn't make dried vegetable soup packages here in Australia. For my Aussie readers, I recommend using Continental Spring Vegetable Soup Mix 30 grams. This works fantastic as a base for this creamy recipe.
How to Make Bread Bowl Spinach Dip
It's easy to make Spinach Dip, you want to start by making the dip first, then hollow out the bread bowl next. Spinach Dip tastes better if you give the flavors time to meld together. Mix together these ingredients;
- sour cream
- frozen spinach (thawed)
- green onions
- grated cheese
- water chestnuts
Buy an unsliced round cobb loaf of bread. Using a knife, carefully hollow out the insides creating a bowl. Cut the removed bread into cubes and use as your dipping pieces.
The original recipe has one small can of water chestnuts added for crunch, but I usually don't have this readily available in my cupboard and sometimes skip it. Usually I use whatever block of cheese I have in the fridge, mozzarella or cheddar (because this recipe doesn't have enough fat content in it!) Make sure you squeeze the spinach as dry as you can, using your hands. After its cooked, spinach releases lots of water, which will ruin your dip.
Spinach Dip with Fresh Spinach
Using frozen spinach is super easy, thaws quickly and is ready to be used for your dip. However, you might have fresh spinach you need to use up. Fresh Spinach needs to be quickly steamed or sautéed before adding into your dip. Squeeze out any excess water, and chop before mixing in.
You will need at least 10oz or 300 grams of fresh spinach leaves, but more is better. Fresh spinach will reduce significantly while it cooks. It will look like a lot of spinach, but trust me, you'll be ok!
Hot Spinach Dip
This is an easy Bread Bowl Spinach Dip, which doesn't require any cooking or baking. However, there is a popular variation of this recipe that is baked. You can skip the bread bowl and serve this dip in a baking dish. If making the hot dip version, I suggest mixing in these ingredients to the recipe below, to make it extra cheesy.
- 1 block of cream cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- garnish with fresh chopped parsley
Can you Make Bread Bowl Spinach Dip in Advance?
Yes, it's such a time saver to make this recipe in advance. Prepare the dip and keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve. Don't place the dip in the bread bowl in advance or it will get soggy. You can also prepare the bread bowl in advance. Just remember to use cling wrap to cover it, so it doesn't dry out.
Spinach Dip Recipe Tips
- For a lower fat version, substitute sour cream with Greek Yogurt
- Fat Free Mayo can be used, however it tastes so much better with regular mayo - this isn't diet food!
- Add ½ cup of chopped Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- Mix in ½ cup of fried bacon, chopped or crumbled
- For a sharper recipe, add some Blue Cheese!
- Skip the water chestnuts if you can't find them, however they add a great crunch to the dip
- If you love spinach, you can double the spinach in this recipe
More Party Dips
- Easy French Onion Dip Made From Scratch
- Swiss Cheese Fondue
- Authentic Tzatziki Sauce
- Russian Style Beet Dip
- Bacon Ranch Dip
This easy Bread Bowl Spinach Dip recipe is really quick to make, and is a proven crowd pleaser! Just don't tell them how easy it was to make. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 package of dry vegetable soup mix 40g/1.4oz
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 10 oz /250g package of frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- 1 can water chestnuts drained and chopped
- 1 large round unsliced loaf of bread
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together except the loaf of bread. For best flavor, refrigerate for about 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld together.
- To make a bread bowl from your loaf of bread, using a knife, hollow out the insides creating a bowl. With the bread you removed, cut them into cubes and set aside to go with your dip.
- When you are ready to serve, put the dip inside your bread bowl and serve with bread cubes, cut vegetables, crackers or potato chips.