It's so easy to make Garlic Asparagus, you'll wonder why you ever made it any other way. With oven and air fryer instructions. Tender, yet with a bit of a crispy crunch, a delicious side dish for dinner!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Flavorful - garlicky asparagus is full of flavor
- Fast - only takes a few minutes to prep and cooks quickly
- Low Carb - an tasty side dish that's full of vitamins
- Air Fryer and Oven Instructions - choose what's best for you
- Asparagus - one bunch of thin or medium asparagus
- Garlic Cloves - thinly sliced
- Olive Oil - Extra Virgin Oil is best
- Salt Flakes - sprinkled before serving, adds a bit of crunch
How to Serve Asparagus
Roasted Asparagus is a versatile vegetable that can be enjoyed many ways. Here are some of my favorites, including using leftover asparagus.
- Side Dish - deliciously simple, served alongside your Thai chicken drumststicks or your citrus roast turkey for the holidays
- Omelette - mix roasted asparagus with cheese inside eggs
- Pasta - toss through your pasta or sheet pan gnocchi
- Salads - add to your salad for flavor and texture, like a roasted chickpea salad
- Quiche or Frittata - alongside eggs, meat and cheese
- Stir Fry - add asparagus for flavor and crunch
How to Roast Asparagus in Oven
The roasting time will depend on the thickness of your asparagus spears. Try to choose asparagus spears that are the same thickness to ensure they cook evenly. You need to trim the woody ends off the asparagus, save them and throw them into your next homemade soup stock.
- Preheat - heat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Prepare - cut the woody ends off the asparagus. Place asparagus and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle generously with Olive Oil and toss.
- Roast - spread asparagus and garlic evenly across a baking sheet. Roast for about 10 minutes until firm yet tender when pierced with a fork. Sprinkle with salt flakes.
Cooking Asparagus in Air Fryer
An Air Fryer is such a time saver, compact and more economical than an oven. This method allows you to keep your oven free for Roast Lamb or Prime Rib Roast.
- Preheat - set Air Fryer to 400°F/200°C.
- Prepare - cut the woody ends off the asparagus. Drizzle asparagus and garlic generously with Olive Oil and toss. Spread the Asparagus and garlic evenly across the Air Fryer tray.
- Air Fry - roast asparagus for about 8 minutes, shaking half way through cooking process. Add 2 minutes for thicker asparagus spears. Season with salt flakes and serve immediately.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Parmesan Cheese - before serving, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese
- Don't Crowd It - roast only a single layer of asparagus to ensure even roasting
- Air Fry in Batches - if roasting more than 1 pound or 500g, roast in smaller batches
- Double Recipe - make twice as much and enjoy leftovers for breakfast or lunch with eggs or stir fry
- Add Acid - serve with fresh lemon or drizzle Balsamic Vinegar over the asparagus
- Roast Vegetables - toss mushrooms and cherry tomatoes together with the asparagus for a vegetable medley
- Seasoning - try Montreal Steak Spice or Everything But the Bagel seasoning instead of salt
Can I Prepare Asparagus in Advance?
Roasted Asparagus is best prepared and served right away. You want them to be tender with a bit of a crunch. As they cool, they can become chewy and soggy. Perfect for leftovers to add to recipes, but not when served as a side dish.
Salt Flakes vs Salt
Chefs love using Maldon Salt Flakes which is seasoned after cooking. Easy to pinch over your food, controlling flavor and adding crunch. Of course you can use regular salt, however salt flakes elevate your meal when serving.
Store leftover garlic asparagus in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for 3-4 days.
My favorite way to re-heat asparagus is in the Air Fryer. This method heats and slightly crisps the asparagus, it's delicious! Heat Air Fryer to 400°F/200°C. Place leftover asparagus in fryer for 3-4 minutes until heated and serve immediately. Alternatively, re-heat in oven or microwave until warm.
Side Dish Recipes You'll Love
- Garlic Butter Green Beans - ready in 10 minutes
- Asian Snow Peas - stir fry or side dish
- Grilled Zucchini - perfect on bbq or skillet
- Honey Roasted Carrots - tossed in honey and soy sauce
- Crispy Moroccan Potatoes - air fryer and oven instructions
- Garlic Parmesan Broccoli - roasted and tossed
Roasted Garlic Asparagus with garlic is so easy to make, you only need 4 ingredients! This is not the asparagus from your childhood! Perfect side dish for lunch, dinner or the holidays. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 bunch of Asparagus thin to medium thick asparagus
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Maldon salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Cut the woody ends off the asparagus. Place asparagus and sliced garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle generously with Olive oil and toss to coat.
- Spread asparagus and garlic evenly across the baking sheet.
- Roast for about 10 minutes until firm yet tender when pierced with a fork. Sprinkle with salt flakes and serve immediately.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F/200°C.
- Cut the woody ends off the asparagus. Drizzle asparagus and garlic generously with Olive Oil and toss.
- Spread the Asparagus and garlic evenly across the Air Fryer tray.
- Roast asparagus for about 8 minutes, shaking half way through cooking process. Add 2 minutes for thicker asparagus spears. Season with salt flakes and serve immediately.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally published November 2017, updated March 2023