Bursting with flavor and color, Radish Cucumber Salad is made with a simple combination of crunchy cucumbers, peppery radish, tossed in a creamy sour cream and dill dressing. Enjoy the fresh taste of summer with this light and flavorful salad.
Radish Cucumber Salad
Radish Cucumber Salad is a staple on the Russian and Ukrainian summer dinner table. We grew up with large vegetable gardens filled with radishes - one of the first vegetables harvested in the garden. You'll love the peppery radish balanced with cucumbers and the cooling dressing.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy - all you need is 4 ingredients, slice and toss
- Healthy - radishes are a souce of Vitamin C and low calorie
- Fresh - this crunchy salad tastes light and crisp
- Rustic - a simple and rustic salad from the old country, just like baba made
- Radishes - small bunch, need about 15-20 radishes
- Cucumbers - Long English Cucumber
- Dill - bunch of fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Sour Cream - preferable Smetana if you can find it
Home Grown Cucumbers
Homegrown cucumbers taste the best. Heirloom varieties and European cucumbers vary in flavor and texture, and are rarely found in stores. Here are some tasty cucumber varieties that you can find in supermarkets or in a Farmer's Market.
- Long English Cucumber - the standard staple cucumber available everywhere
- Persian Cucumber - also known as Lebanese Cucumbers, sweet with minimal seeds
- Kirby Cucumber - used for pickling, but also great in salads
- Field Cucumber - bumpy and sometimes prickly, peel with peeler before adding to salad
How to make Radish Salad
Cucumber Radish Salad only has a few ingredients. Slice, dress and toss, you're ready to serve!
- Prepare Vegetables - slice cucumbers and radishes and place in a bowl
- Dressing - mix sour cream and chopped dill, and toss through radish salad until completely coated
- Season - add salt and pepper to taste
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Slice Carefully - round radishes are hard to cut, slice carefully. Alternatively, slice radish in half, lay on flat side then slice into pieces
- Green Onions - add some finely chopped green onions
- Add Mayo - make creamy dressing my mixing ½ sour cream with ½ mayo
- Smetana - try making homemade Russian Sour Cream for this recipe
Can I Prepare Radish Salad in Advance?
Yes. Slice vegetables keep them in the fridge in an airtight container. Mix in the sour cream, salt and pepper only when ready to serve.
Lower Fat Dressing
Sour Cream is rich and creamy, but higher in calories. To lower fat content, try substituting with Greek Yogurt, Low Fat Sour Cream.
Other Russian Salads You'll Love
- Olivier Potato Salad (Olivye)
- Vinegret Beet Salad
- Herring Under a Fur Coat Salad
- Creamy Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Korean Carrot Salad (Morkovcha)
- Russian Crab Salad
Creamy Radish Cucumber Salad is super easy to throw together in a few minutes, full of vitamins, and an Eastern European favorite! You'll love the amazing crunch, peppery flavors balanced out with the creamy herb dressing. The perfect summer salad. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 Long English Cucumber or home grown cucumbers
- 1 bunch of radishes about 15 radishes
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the cucumbers and radishes and put in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the sour cream and chopped dill to the cucumbers and mix until completely coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally posted December 2015, updated April 2023