Peppermint Crisp Tart is the famous no-bake South African dessert that's rich and decadent. Easy to make for your bbq, braai or potluck. Served in a large glass tray or in individual glasses, an easy 4 ingredient dessert!
If you're fortunate enough to be invited to a South African friend's house for dinner, be sure to ask for this dessert. We recently enjoyed this at our friends Christo and Yolanda's house, I'm telling you that South African's know how to cook! Lucky to have so many South Africans living in Australia.
What is Peppermint Crisp Tart?
Peppermint Crisp Tart is layered dessert that get's its name from the Peppermint Crisp candy bar, which is obviously from South Africa. You only need 4 ingredients, coconut flavored Tennis biscuits, canned caramel, whipped cream and Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars.
The South African Peppermint Crisp candy bars are the hero of this dish.They are chocolate covered mint flavoured toffee cylinders. It's like green shards of peppermint flavored candy, crunchy and delicious. That's the crisp part of the candy bar. It adds flavor and texture to your creamy dessert.
Where to buy Peppermint Crisp
Peppermint Crisp candy bars are easily found in stores in South Africa like at Woolworths or Pick n Pay. Also in supermarkets in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. In the USA, they can be found in South African stores or on Amazon but can be quite expensive. Or just ask your local South African friend where they get their favorite foods from.
How to Serve Peppermint Crisp Tart
Glass Pyrex Dish
This layered dessert which is usually served in a rectangle glass Pyrex dish or glass bowl. This makes it easy to scoop with a spoon to serve, without any fuss. Perfect for casual dining like a family dinner, braai, potluck or birthday party. The glass dish method will make 10-12 servings.
You can also serve them in individual glasses. Perfect for a special occasions or intimate dinners. A bit fancier to serve in individual serve glasses. This recipe will make 6 individual servings filled to the top. It will make more if you adjust to smaller portions.
How to Make Peppermint Crisp Tart
Peppermint Crisp Tart in a Dish
- Pour whipping cream and canned Caramel into a bowl and whip until fluffy and peaks form
- Carefully grate 4 Peppermint Crisp bars and mix through cream mixture
- Layer a single layer of Tennis biscuits in a rectangle glass dish
- Evenly spread ⅓ the cream mixture over the biscuits
- Repeat by adding a layer of biscuits and cream until dish is full (2 layers of biscuits is creamier, 3 layers of biscuits is more cakey from the extra biscuits)
- Garnish with grated Peppermint Crisp chocolate
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving (best overnight)
Peppermint Crisp Tart in Glasses
- Crush Tennis biscuits - using bag and rolling pin or with a food processor
- Whip the whipping cream until thick and peaks form
- Whisk in canned Caramel into the whipped cream. Add 4 grated Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars to the mix
- Prepare 4-6 glasses
- Spoon a layer of caramel cream into the bottom or each glass. Add a layer of crushed cookies on top of the caramel cream. Optional: Repeat with additional layers of crumbed cookies and cream
- Garnish with grated chocolate and refrigerate for a few hours before serving
Peppermint Crisp Tart Substitutions
As I mentioned, some of these ingredients can be hard to find outside of South Africa. Here are some helpful tips for ingredient substitutions.
- Substitute Tennis biscuits with NICE cookies or Lil Dutch Maid Coconut Bar Cookies.
- Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars can be hard to find outside of South Africa. Substitute with Peppermint Aero, block of Peppermint Chocolate or Peppermint Bark (with shards of candy cane).
- Grating chocolate bars can be difficult. Freezing it before grating helps
- This tastes much better when made in a day advance, once less thing to worry about if you have company over for dinner
- Beat the canned caramel until smooth before mixing into whipped cream when making individual glasses
- Canned Caramel Treat and Dulce de Leche are the same thing. It's easy to make Dulce de Leche from scratch!
- If making classic Peppermint Crisp Tart in a dish, buy an extra pack of Tennis biscuits if you like it more 'cakey' from the extra biscuits. Personally, I prefer 2 layers of biscuits which gives a thicker presence to the Peppermint Crisp Caramel whipped cream. Everyone loves the cream!
- Get creative and make this recipe your own. Use different flavors as your base, like chocolate brownies, Oreo cookies, or Biscoff cookies
- If using thicker biscuits, I suggest breaking the cookies into crumbs, and sprinkling them instead of the layers. Thick biscuits might not soften into the tart.
No Bake Recipes You'll Love
- Easy Pavlova Trifle
- No Bake Cherry Cheesecake
- Bird's Nest Cookies
- Sugared Cranberries
- Passionfruit Curd
- Australian White Christmas Treat
Peppermint Crisp Tart is an incredibly easy dessert recipe, only 4 ingredients which is made in every South African household! Everyone is going to love this no bake dessert! Plus it's something a little bit different from your usual treats, I promise you, everyone won't stop talking about this! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- electric mixer
- glass dish or individual glasses
- 2 packets of Tennis Biscuits only 1 packet if making individual glasses
- 13 oz /380g can of caramel treat
- 2 ½ cups whipping cream 600ml
- 5 Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars grated
Classic Peppermint Caramel Tart
- Pour whipping cream and canned Caramel Treat into a bowl and whip until fluffy and peaks form.
- Grate 4 Peppermint Crisp bars and mix through cream mixture.
- Layer a single layer of Tennis biscuits in a rectangle glass dish, it's ok if there are gaps between. Evenly spread a layer of cream mixture over the biscuits.
- Repeat by adding a layer of biscuits and cream until dish is full (2 layers of biscuits is creamier, 3 layers of biscuits is more cakey from the biscuits)
- Garnish with grated Peppermint Crisp chocolate. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving (best overnight)
Peppermint Tart in Glasses
- Crush the Tennis biscuits placing into a ziploc bag and bashing it with a rolling pin or pulse it in a food processor. You only need 1 packet of biscuits if serving in glasses.
- Whip the whipping cream until fluffy and peaks form. Don't over whip into butter.
- Whisk in canned Caramel into the whipped cream. Add 4 grated Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars to the mix. Save 1 chocolate bar to use as a garnish before serving.
- Prepare 4-6 individual glasses.
- Spoon a layer of caramel cream into the bottom or each glass. Add a layer of crushed cookies on top of the caramel cream. Optional: repeat with additional layers of crumbed cookies and cream
- Garnish with crushed Peppermint Crisp chocolate and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.