Peppermint Crisp Tart is the famous no-bake South African dessert. Rich and decadent layered dessert that's easy to make for your bbq, braai, potluck or holiday gathering. Served in a large glass tray or in individual glasses, an easy 4 ingredient dessert!
If you're fortunate enough to be invited to a South African friend's house for dinner, ask them to make you this tasty dessert. We recently enjoyed this at our friends Christo and Yolanda's house, I'm telling you that South African's know how to cook! Lucky to have so many South Africans living in Australia.
What is Peppermint Crisp Tart?
Peppermint Crisp Tart is layered dessert that get's its name from the famous South African Peppermint Crisp chocolate bar. Known as a Fridge Tart, meaning an easy, no-bake dessert that sets in the fridge. PCT is a fridge tart made with layers of biscuit, caramel, cream and chocolate.
What is Peppermint Crisp?
Peppermint Crisp is the hero of this dish. It's a chocolate bar made from mint flavored toffee cylinders, which are covered in chocolate. It's like biting into green shards of peppermint flavored candy, crunchy and delicious. That's the crisp part of the candy bar. It adds flavor and texture to your creamy dessert.
You only need 4 ingredients to make this crazy good fridge tart.
- Tennis Biscuits - the famous South African cookie
- Can of Caramel Treat - or canned caramel
- Whipping Cream - whisked until soft peaks form
- Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars - chocolate with shards of peppermint
Where to buy Peppermint Crisp
Peppermint Crisp chocolate bars are easily found in stores in South Africa like Woolworths or Pick n Pay. Also in supermarkets in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. In the USA, they can be found in South African stores and Amazon but can be quite expensive. Just ask your local South African friend where they get their favorite foods from.
How to Serve Peppermint Crisp Tart
Glass Pyrex Dish
This layered dessert which is usually served in a rectangle glass Pyrex dish or glass bowl. This makes it easy to scoop with a spoon to serve, without any fuss. Perfect for casual dining like a family dinner, braai, potluck or birthday party. The glass dish method will make 10-12 servings.
You can also serve them in individual glasses. Perfect for a special occasions or intimate dinners. A bit fancier to serve in individual serve glasses. This recipe will make 6 individual servings filled to the top. It will make more if you adjust to smaller portions.
How to Make Peppermint Crisp Tart
Peppermint Crisp Tart in Glasses
- Crush Tennis biscuits - using bag and rolling pin or with a food processor
- Whip the whipping cream until thick and peaks form
- Whisk in canned Caramel into the whipped cream. Add 4 grated Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars to the mix
- Prepare 4-6 glasses
- Spoon a layer of caramel cream into the bottom or each glass. Add a layer of crushed cookies on top of the caramel cream. Optional: Repeat with additional layers of crumbed cookies and cream
- Garnish with grated chocolate and refrigerate for a few hours before serving
Peppermint Crisp Tart in a Dish
- Pour whipping cream and canned Caramel into a bowl and whip until fluffy and peaks form
- Carefully grate 4 Peppermint Crisp bars and mix through cream mixture
- Layer a single layer of Tennis biscuits in a rectangle glass dish
- Evenly spread ⅓ the cream mixture over the biscuits
- Repeat by adding a layer of biscuits and cream until dish is full (2 layers of biscuits is creamier, 3 layers of biscuits is more cakey from the extra biscuits)
- Garnish with grated Peppermint Crisp chocolate
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving (best overnight)
Recipe Tips and FAQS
- Beat the Canned Caramel - if whipping cream and mixing in caramel afterwards, beat caramel until smooth so it's light, fluffy and lump free.
- Dulce de Leche - Canned Caramel Treat and Dulce de Leche are the same thing. It's easy to make homemade Caramel.
- Extra Biscuits - Buy an extra pack of Tennis biscuits if you like it more 'cakey' from the extra biscuits. Personally, I prefer 2 layers of biscuits in the glass tray, which leaves the tart creamier with the Peppermint Crisp Caramel cream.
- Get Creative - Use different flavors as your base, like chocolate brownies, Oreo cookies, or Biscoff cookies
- Crush Biscuits - If using thicker biscuits, break cookies into crumbs, and thinly sprinkle them instead of the layering. Thick cookies might not soften into the tart.
Peppermint Crisp Tart Substitutions
As I mentioned, some of these ingredients can be hard to find outside of South Africa. Here are some helpful tips for ingredient substitutions.
- Biscuits - Substitute Tennis biscuits with NICE Cookies or Lil Dutch Maid Coconut Bar Cookies, Voortman Coconut Cookies (any thin, coconut flavored cookie).
- Chocolate - Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars can be hard to find outside of South Africa. Substitute with Peppermint Aero, block of Peppermint Chocolate or Peppermint Bark (with shards of candy cane).
- Freezing - Grating chocolate bars can be difficult. Freeze it, so it grates easier.
Can You Make Peppermint Crisp Tart in Advance?
Yes! This recipe tastes best when made one day in advance. One less thing to worry about and prepare when you have company over for dinner.
How Long Does It Take To Make Peppermint Crisp Tart
It only takes 15-20 minutes to make this easy fridge tart. The hardest part is waiting for the flavors to set in the fridge (about 3-4 hours).
No Bake Recipes You'll Love
- Easy Pavlova Trifle
- No Bake Cherry Cheesecake
- Bird's Nest Cookies
- Sugared Cranberries
- Passionfruit Curd
- Australian White Christmas Treat
Peppermint Crisp Fridge Tart is an incredibly easy dessert recipe, only 4 ingredients which is made in every South African household! Everyone is going to love this no bake dessert! I promise you, everyone won't stop talking about this easy tart! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- electric mixer
- glass dish or individual glasses
- 2 packets of Tennis Biscuits only 1 packet if making individual glasses
- 13 oz (380g) can of caramel treat
- 2 ½ cups whipping cream 600ml
- 5 Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars grated
Classic Peppermint Caramel Tart
- Pour whipping cream and canned Caramel Treat into a bowl and whip until fluffy and peaks form.
- Grate 4 Peppermint Crisp bars and mix through cream mixture.
- Layer a single layer of Tennis biscuits in a rectangle glass dish, it's ok if there are gaps between. Evenly spread a layer of cream mixture over the biscuits.
- Repeat by adding a layer of biscuits and cream until dish is full (2 layers of biscuits is creamier, 3 layers of biscuits is more cakey from the biscuits)
- Garnish with grated Peppermint Crisp chocolate. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving (best overnight)
Peppermint Tart in Glasses
- Crush the Tennis biscuits placing into a ziploc bag and bashing it with a rolling pin or pulse it in a food processor. You only need 1 packet of biscuits if serving in glasses.
- Whip the whipping cream until fluffy and peaks form. Don't over whip into butter.
- Whisk in canned Caramel into the whipped cream. Add 4 grated Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bars to the mix. Save 1 chocolate bar to use as a garnish before serving.
- Prepare 4-6 individual glasses.
- Spoon a layer of caramel cream into the bottom or each glass. Add a layer of crushed cookies on top of the caramel cream. Optional: repeat with additional layers of crumbed cookies and cream
- Garnish with crushed Peppermint Crisp chocolate and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.