If you have never heard or tasted Monkey Gland Sauce, then you have been seriously missing out! So before PETA comes after me for animal cruelty, I am declaring upfront that there is no monkey parts in Monkey Gland Sauce!
It's my favorite barbecue sauce, which has an unusual/unfortunate name, which origins are still debated. It's a popular condiment in South Africa, used like their barbecue sauce. Our local Spurs Restaurant here in Australia has it, but I don't really like their version of it. But on the other hand, their Spur Sauce is a whole other thing! But back to my Monkey Gland Sauce recipe.
It's a sweet and spicy sauce, with Mrs Balls Hot Chutney as one of it's bases. Mrs Balls is a spicy peach chutney, which I would never eat on its own, but is amazing in Monkey Gland Sauce. If you don't like things too spicy, then change it up with a regular Chutney, but leave the Tabasco sauce in.
One bottle of Mrs Balls Chutney should last for 2 batches of Monkey Gland Sauce, just use half a bottle at a time. It won't quite be one cup the recipe requires, but it allows you to make the sauce twice without needing to another bottle! Any South African store will carry this, or google it, Amazon it, or see if your local grocery store carries it.
Monkey Gland Sauce is perfect for barbecued meats, such as steaks, burgers, chicken or ribs. Keep it refrigerated, if you don't eat it all right away! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup stock
- 1 can of diced tomatoes 400g
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 cup of Heinz Ketchup
- ½ cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup Mrs Balls Hot Chutney Sauce*
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 tablespoons of port wine
- Oil for frying
- In a medium size pot, over medium heat, add about 1 tablespoon of oil and cook the onions until they are tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Bring up to a boil then reduce immediately to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and enjoy! Keep sauce refrigerated.