Smooth and creamy, Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect side dish for dinner, Thanksgiving or Christmas. Packed with flavor from fresh garlic and rosemary, quick, easy and healthy. This is a sweet potato recipe that everyone will love!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Healthier - Low GI with more vitamins compared to plain potatoes
- Super Creamy - Butter and cream whipped into perfection
- Easy - Made with everyday ingredients in your pantry
Candied Potatoes or Savory Sweet Potatoes?
Candied Sweet Potatoes (Candied Yams) are popular in the States, but they are less known overseas. This a Savory Sweet Potato Mash recipe, with no marshmallows, pecans or maple syrup in sight. If you're not from the USA, that might sound weird.
What You'll Need
- Electric Mixer - to create a creamy whip
- Sweet Potatoes - cut into small cubes
- Whipping Cream - or Heavy Cream
- Butter - softened to room temperature
- Garlic - freshly minced cloves for a punch
- Salt and Pepper - for seasoning
- Rosemary - fresh chopped for garnish and flavor
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy?
Yes, when compared to regular potatoes, they are healthier. However, be aware of the level of butter and whipping cream in this recipe. Of course, that is what gives it the flavor! If you are looking for a calorie reduced side dish, this isn't it. To make this recipe vegan, use 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil instead of the butter.
- High in Antioxidants - specifically beta carotene which protects the body from free radicals
- High in Vitamins - iron, calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Selenium
- High Fibre - everyone needs more fibre
- Lower Calories and GI - when compared to traditional potatoes
How to Make Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
All mashed potatoes are easy to make! After making this recipe, you'll love the flavor combinations. You'll never go back to plain mashed potatoes!
- Peel and dice Sweet Potatoes into small cubes.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes until they are soft.
- Drain and place in a mixing bowl. Add in the butter, whipping cream and fresh minced garlic.
- Start with a potato masher and mash until the ingredients are all combined. Finish with an electric mixer, so the potatoes are creamy and fluffy.
- Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with fresh rosemary or freshly chopped parsley.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Extra Butter - Add an extra few tablespoons of butter. This defeats the healthy, however it really elevates the creaminess and flavors
- Food Processor - mixing in a food processor makes it super creamy and silky
- Roasting Sweet Potatoes - easy to make Roasted Sweet Potato Mash - roast unpeeled in oven at 400°F/200°C for 1 hour. Scoop out the insides and beat with ingredients.
- Prepare in Advance - Easy to make this the day before. Place in an airtight container in fridge, then re-heat in a saucepan before serving
Can I Use Yams Instead of Sweet Potatoes?
Yes! Yams are often used interchangeably with sweet potatoes. Yams aren't as sweet but are starchier than sweet potatoes, which complements this recipe perfectly. Mashed Yams will be a winner on your dinner plate.
Fresh Rosemary or Dried Rosemary?
Fresh rosemary provides the best flavor. You can mix through your sweet potatoes, but I use it as a garnish when serving. Dried Rosemary can be substituted. Mix through ½ teaspoon through the mash. Remember, the fresh garlic makes the sweet potato mash taste amazing, so don't overpower with rosemary.
Sweet Potato Garnish Ideas
- Chopped Bacon
- Chopped Chives or Green Onion
- Roasted Garlic Pieces
- Drizzle with Balsamic Glaze
Storing Sweet Potato Mash
Leftover Savory Sweet Mashed Potatoes can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge. Best if eaten within a few days. Alternatively, you can freeze your leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Dinner Side Dishes You'll Love!
- Garlic Butter Green Beans
- Snow Peas with Pine Nuts
- Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan
- Crispy Roasted Moroccan Potatoes
- Truffle Mashed Potatoes with Real Truffles
It's always good to increase your vegetable intake as part of a balanced diet. An easy switch to change from regular potatoes to vitamin rich yams. Sweet Potato Mash is a delicious savory side dish will be loved by your whole family and a great change from regular potatoes. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- electric mixer
- 2 lbs (1kg) sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup butter room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish with fresh rosemary or parsley
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into small cubes.
- Place in a large pot and fill pot with enough water to cover potatoes. Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and place into a mixing bowl. Mash until you reach your desired consistency. Mix in the whipping cream, minced garlic and butter.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the sweet potatoes until desired consistency is reached.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh parsley or rosemary.