These Middle Eastern Spicy Lamb Patties are a type of Kofta that we eat for lunch, usually inside a Pita. Easy to make, and reminds me of a version of Russian Kotleti, but with exotic spices. They are also great as a little appetizer, just don't make them to big! If you love Greek food, you will definitely be a fan of this lamb recipe!
I love eating lamb, and you can find ground lamb in any supermarket here in Australia. Lamb is an Aussie staple, and it's been great making so many lamb recipes. It's a great alternative to beef and provides more of an exotic flair to your meal.
What to serve with Lamb Patties?
These Kofta Patties are kind of like lamb burgers, or lamb meatballs or lamb rissoles, with amazing spices and flavor! I suppose if you were to make them bigger and flatten them before cooking, you could use them as Mediterranean burgers. They're a tasty way to eat Lamb Pita Pockets. I stuff them with lettuce, tomato and easy homemade Tzatziki Sauce. They make a great appetizer you can eat with tzatziki or hummus. You could make them into Lamb Sliders served with a Greek Salad, or just have a tasty Roasted Chickpea Salad with on the side.
What is Harissa Paste?
Harissa paste is often used in Moroccan and North African cooking, and is a mixture of chili peppers, garlic and spices. It's often described as the national condiment of Tunisia. Harissa can be used in meat marinades, soups, shawarmas, and even used to flavor couscous. I love to add it to homemade hummus, and it works perfectly as a flavor boost of these spicy lamb patties (kofta). It's not expensive and adds great flavor and heat to your recipes. If you don't have Harissa at home, you can substitute with a plain hot sauce or chilli oil.
Be adventurous and give a try! Lamb Patties in Pita Bread with salad is delicious summer meal. So many uses like a small lamb burger, lamb meatball or lamb rissoles, perfect for lunch or as an appetizer! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 500 g /1 lb ground lamb
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons harissa paste
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon sumac optional
- lemon zest optional
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl. Using your hands, mix until combined.
- Using your hands, shape the meat into small balls, pressing firmly so it holds shape. Each patty is about 2"/5cm wide.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry the lamb patties in small batches for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are cooked.
- Serve in a pita or wrap with salad, yogurt sauce or tzatziki.