This easy Hot Apple Cider recipe is an easy to make cold weather treat, it's like Christmas in a cup. And very easy to make! A hot mulled cider made with apple juice, steeped in spices. The aroma fills the entire house!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Easy - made with ingredients you have in your pantry
- Fast - ready to go in 10 minutes
- Aroma - the smell of mulled apple juice fills the room
- Budget Friendly - much cheaper to make at home vs store-bought
When the weather turns cold, enjoying a heartwarming Hot Cider reminds me of family gatherings like Thanksgiving, Halloween or Christmas season. I love apple cinnamon recipes, whether it's American Apple Pie or easy Apple Turnovers, all are fall favorites! Come to think of it, this is like a hot apple pie drink!
Is Hot Apple Cider Alcoholic?
It can be, however this is a non-alcoholic apple cider for the whole family to enjoy. If you wanted to make a spiked apple cider, add a cup of Rum, Brandy or Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey.
Hot Apple Cider Ingredients
- Apple Juice - naturally cloudy is best
- Cinnamon Sticks - save some to serve and garnish your drinks
- ground Cinnamon - aromatic to deeply infuse into the apple juice
- ground Nutmeg - adds warm woody flavor
- whole Cloves - adds strong warm spice flavor
How to Make Hot Apple Cider
You don't need to go to Costco to buy your Spiced Apple Cider, it's easier and cheaper to make at home! All you need is a large pot, apple juice and cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a quick boil, reduce and gently simmer for about ten minutes. Don't skip the ground spices, as they infuse flavour better than the cinnamon stick alone.
- Carefully strain the hot apple cider through a colander lined with a cheesecloth to remove spices.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Apple Cider Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Pumpkin Pie Spice - substitute ¾ teaspoon instead of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Adjust Sweetness - add a bit of brown sugar or caramel sauce
- Pear Juice - try adding Pear juice with your Apple juice
- Citrus - add a slice of orange and lemon into the pot for a citrus twist
- Double it - if doubling the recipe, you don't need to double the spices! Just allow to infuse for a bit longer until you're happy with the flavors
Can I Use a Slow Cooker for Hot Apple Cider?
Yes. Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours. This method also keeps your cider hot while serving.
Do I Need to Strain Hot Apple Cider?
Highly recommend. When you add ground spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, they leave a small gritty residue in your cup. Not everyone is bothered by it, however straining though a cheesecloth provides best experience.
Spice Variations for Apple Cider
Mix it up and add your favorite fall spices. Here are some suggestions to add.
- 1 Star Anise pod
- ½ teaspoon grated Ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground Allspice
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom
Garnish Ideas for Hot Apple Cider
- sliced Apples - compliments flavor
- Cinnamon sticks - looks like fall in a cup
- whole cranberries - a more festive garnish
- Star Anise - shaped like a star, adding to the festive theme
How to Reheat Hot Apple Cider
Bring Apple Cider to a gentle simmer in a pot. To heat in microwave, heat cup of Apple Cider for 60 seconds (or until it's hot enough).
Holiday Drinks You'll Love
- Russian Tea Made from Scratch
- Glühwein Mulled Wine
- London Fog Tea Latte
- Homemade Cranberry Juice
- Cranberry Christmas Punch
- Homemade Eggnog
So easy to make, all natural and healthier than store bought with unpronounceable ingredients - Easy Hot Apple Cider recipe. It will warm you from the inside out, with a smile. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- ½ gallon /2 litres of cloudy apple juice
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cloves
- In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil, reduce and simmer for about ten minutes.
- Strain the apple cider through a colander lined with a cheesecloth before serving. Enjoy!