If you're looking for a delicious and unique twist on traditional chicken recipes, Chicken with Mango Salsa is sure to hit the spot. This flavorful dish combines grilled chicken with tropical, sweet mango salsa for a meal that's sure to tantalize your taste buds and leave you wanting more.
Chicken with mango salsa is a perfect summertime meal, quick and easy to grill on your backyard barbecue. Elevate your weeknight dinner or barbecue
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy and Fast - dinner done in 30 minutes without complicated ingredients with great dinner suggestions
- Fresh - perfect for mango season, fresh tropical ingredients elevate your grilled chicken
- Healthy - grilled chicken breast is low in fat and a great source of protein
- Chicken Breast - boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- Seasoning - salt and pepper or your favorite spice mix
- Mango - ripe but firm makes dicing easy
- Tomatoes - vine ripened have best flavor
- Peppers - Bell Pepper and Jalapeño
- Lime Juice and Vinegar
Preparing Chicken Breast
When grilling chicken, it needs to cooks evenly. This ensures some pieces aren't undercooked and others overcooked. A few different methods to prepare chicken breasts.
- Lay chicken breast flat on a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the chicken breast in half into 2 even pieces.
- For thinner chicken (which cooks faster) place breast on a piece of cling wrap. Cover with another piece of cling wrap.
- Using the flat side of a meat mallet, start by pounding the thickest part of the meat until it's even and you are happy with the thickness.
How To Grill Chicken
- Prepare Chicken - slice or pound chicken breast into evenly thick pieces. Season with your favorite spices.
- Cook - heat griddle or bbq and cook chicken breast until internal temperature is 165°F/75°C, about 5 minutes per side.
Making Mango Salsa
- Peel and dice mango into small cubes.
- Dice tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and jalapeño.
- Mix in lime juice, apple cider vinegar and cilantro.
- Season and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for flavors to set.
How to Make Chicken With Salsa
- Make Salsa - mix together mangoes, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper.
- Prepare Chicken - slice or pound chicken breast into evenly thick pieces, season with salt and pepper, or season with Cajun or Steak Spice
- Cook Chicken - place on hot bbq or griddle pan and cook until internal temperature is 165°F/75°C.
- Serve - generously spoon fresh mango salsa over the grilled chicken
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Change the Protein - substitute chicken with pork, turkey, salmon or grilled snapper
- Oven Baked Chicken - heat oven to 425°F/220°C. Brush chicken with oil before seasoning. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until internal temperature is 165°F/75°C
- Salsa Variations - add diced avocado, substitute tomato with diced peaches, mix in black beans or corn
- Spice it Up - for a spicier salsa, use Habanero peppers
- Add Sugar - add a ½ teaspoon of sugar to the mango salsa for sweetness (elevates flavor if mango isn't ripe)
- Double the Salsa - save leftover salsa to use as a dip or with your favorite Mexican meal
Serving Ideas for Chicken with Mango
- Dinner Main - simple grilled chicken dinner, served with a side salad, grilled zucchini or air fryer potato wedges
- Taco Tuesday - Slice up grilled chicken and make Chicken and Mango Tacos
- Chicken Mango Rice Bowl - chop up chicken and serve over rice with mango salsa, avocados, corn and black beans
- Taco Salad - serve over a salad with crushed nachos, grilled chicken, mango salsa, avocado and sour cream
Chicken with Mango keeps in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Keep the mango salsa and chicken in separate containers, or the chicken will get soggy and is hard to reheat.
- Skillet - best method for juicy chicken. Pour enough water to cover the base of your skillet. Add leftover grilled chicken. Heat over medium heat and cover with a lid. Takes about 5 minutes until chicken is warm throughout.
- Microwave - place chicken in microwave safe container. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave for 2 minutes, and adjust in 30 second increments if needed.
Healthy Dinner Ideas You'll Love
- Asian Lettuce Cups
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Bacon
- Shrimp Mango Salad
- Grilled Honey Dill Trout or Salmon
- Vietnamese Chicken Banh Mi
- Grilled Short Ribs with Chimmichuri
It's the ultimate grilled chicken summer meal. The salsa brings a bright, fresh pop to the chicken, balancing out the sweet and tangy salsa. Get ready to indulge in this easy, delicious dish! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 4 chicken breasts seasoned
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1½ cups ripe tomatoes chopped
- ½ red onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together mango, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve for flavors to meld together.
- Slice or pound chicken breast into evenly thick pieces. Season with your favorite spices.
- Heat griddle or bbq and cook chicken breast until internal temperature is 165°F/75°C, about 5 minutes per side.
- Generously spoon on the mango tomato salsa over the grilled chicken.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally posted June 2017, updated April 2023