If you haven't tried Greek Fried Cheese, then you haven't lived! Crunchy on the outside, melted and gooey warm on the inside. Drizzled with honey and thyme, this authentic Greek appetizer or Meze is perfect with some Ouzo.
What is Saganaki
Saganaki is not a Japanese cheese and not to be confused with Nagasaki, Japan! Saganaki are dishes that are prepared in a small frying pan, and the Fried Greek Cheese is one of the most popular appetizers in Greece. Also not to be confused with Prawn Saganaki which is made with Feta and Prawns.
Best Cheese for Saganaki
There are several types of Greek cheeses that are used for frying. They are all medium hard cheeses that have a high melting point, which allows them to be fried. The most commonly found would be Halloumi Cheese, but supermarkets also sell Saganaki Cheese, which is usually Kefalograviera cheese. This can be confusing, but any of these Cyprus or Greek cheeses will work.
Ingredients for Saganaki
- Greek Cheese - Kefalograviera
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Thyme
How to Make Greek Fried Cheese
It's so easy frying Greek cheese, and it only takes a few minutes to make before serving!
- Lightly dredge the cheese in flour (if cheese is dry, wet it with some water)
- Heat Olive Oil in a small frying pan
- Shallow fry until crispy and golden on both sides
- Drizzle with honey, garnish with fresh thyme
How to Serve Greek Fried Cheese
We always serve Fried Greek Cheese as part of our Greek Meze platter. Meze are small appetizers that is often served with Ouzo. However, we enjoy Meze as a big Greek Feast as you can see in the video. Serve with a piece of crusty bread, alongside these Greek appetizers.
- Greek Salad - Horiatiki
- Greek Dolmas
- Taramasalata Dip
- Grilled Octopus
- Spanakopita Triangles
- Giant Greek Beans
- Honey Roasted Figs for dessert
Fried Saganaki Variations
- Balsamic - drizzle with Balsamic Glaze for a tangy twist
- Grilled Fruit - serve with grilled peaches and honey
- Sesame Seeds - instead of flour, dredge cheese in sesame seeds before frying
- Lemon - squeeze lemon wedge over the fried cheese
- Walnuts - serve with walnuts, fresh oregano and extra honey
An authentic Greek appetizer or Meze that everyone loves. This recipe is the ultimate cheese lovers appetizer, made with only 3 ingredients! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 7 oz (200 grams) Saganaki Cheese Kefalograviera
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Oil Oil
- 1 cup white flour
- fresh thyme
- If not pre-cut, slice the Greek Cheese into ¼" thick slices.
- Pour the flour onto a plate and lightly dredge the cheese in the flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan. Place the Saganaki cheese in the oil and fry until there is a golden crust - should take about 1 minute per side.
- Remove from the frying pan and drizzle with honey. Garnish with fresh thyme. Serve immediately with a crusty loaf.
Leave a Reply