This Sweet Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin Recipe (in Russian тыква запеченная с корицей) is an simple, rustic dessert. It reminds me of warm pumpkin pie filling. Something we enjoyed every fall during the garden harvest, and mom made it without fail.
We grew up with a very large garden, several actually, on the same property, which provided more than enough home grown, organic fruits and vegetables. We planted in the spring, after the snow melted, and in the autumn, we would harvest the last of the vegetables and pumpkins before the first snow falls. This would always happen before Canadian Thanksgiving which is in October. This is a simple, rustic recipe from my childhood.
Sweet Roasted Pumpkin
Living in Australia, Roast Pumpkin is usually made as a savory dish (like Pumpkin Soup or Pumpkin Scones) and almost never as a sweet dish. Sweet Pumpkin Pie is still a foreign concept here and usually only available at Costco. This roasted pumpkin recipe feels like a hybrid of both sweet and savory. Roasted pumpkin with butter, with the addition of sugar and spices. This Sweet Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin recipe is so easy, you almost can't call it a dessert.
How to make Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin
It's a very rustic and easy pumpkin recipe. I'm assuming you're going to buy a whole pumpkin that needs to be cut and cleaned. Save the pumpkin seeds to make Roasted Pumpkin seeds. Roughly slice the pumpkin into pieces that are the same size to ensure even roasting. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, add a pat of butter and roast in the oven until cooked. When serving, add extra butter and brown sugar. It reminds me of a warm pumpkin pie filling. Serve warm, and mash up the butter, brown sugar and pumpkin and enjoy.
Cinnamon Sugar is always in my pantry, but you could also use Pumpkin Pie Spice together with white sugar for a richer pumpkin pie flavor. You can also sprinkle the cinnamon sugar after the pumpkin is roasted, as if you add too much, the sugar will caramelize or burn. If that happens, just cover with foil if tops start to burn.
Check Out My Other Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese
- Mac and Cheese Baked in a Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Soup with Leek and Potato
- Easy Pumpkin Hummus
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
This Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin recipe is perfect to make during Halloween or for Thanksgiving. Let's face it, that's usually when we make the most pumpkin recipes. A rustic, sweet autumn pumpkin recipe, served warm as a dessert. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 whole pumpkin
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
- brown sugar to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Prepare the pumpkin by cutting in half, scooping out the seeds, and cutting into even sized pieces, skin on.
- Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle the sugar lightly on top. Place a small pat of butter on top of each piece of pumpkin. This will add a nice caramelization to the pumpkin.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your pumpkin pieces. Cover with foil if tops start to burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a cube of butter and brown sugar.