Chicken Fettuccine recipe is a delicious comfort food, packed with carbs, cream and cheese. And the best part, you can save dishes by making this easy one pot dinner! It's the perfect recipe to eat with a Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread!
This is my mom's Chicken Fettuccine recipe that I remember eating as a teenager. Actually, her recipe used more butter, more whipping cream and more parmesan. 🤣 An easy weeknight dinner that everyone loves. There are different ways that people change up Alfredo recipes. Store-bought alfredo sauce always tastes gross, and this easy recipe is worth the effort.
Best Parmesan for Fettuccine Alfredo
Parmesan Cheese is a traditionally an Italian hard cheese, usually grated over Italian dishes. However not all Parmesan is real. Whatever you use, do not buy the fake parmesan cheese that comes in a glass jar. It looks like sawdust, tastes horrible, and isn't suitable for this recipe. Buy a block of real parmesan and grate it yourself, or buy shredded or shaved parmesan. Here are types of parmesan cheese commonly found in stores.
- Parmesan Cheese (non-Italian Parmesan)
- Parmigiano Reggiano (the king of cheese)
- Grana Padano (Italian Cheese)
- Vacche Rosse (Parmesan)
Chicken Breast or Chicken Thighs?
You can use either chicken breast or chicken thighs, its all about your taste preferences. Chicken breasts can be drier, while chicken thighs are more flavorful. For the recipe as pictured the photos, I used both chicken breast and thighs together. I love the flavor of both cuts of chicken meat together in the recipe, but as I said, you choose what you prefer.
Can I Make This Recipe Lower in Calories?
Regular Fetuccine Alfredo is always a very creamy, full fat and full flavor recipe. It's good to look for short cuts to make it a big healthier. To make a lower fat Chicken Fettuccine Recipe, you will need to substitute a few ingredients.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup grated parmesan
Instead of using only whipping cream for your sauce, mix together 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of whipping cream and 1 cup of chicken stock. The addition of milk lowers the fat content, and chicken stock adds extra flavor to the recipe, so you aren't missing out. This method requires a thickener for the sauce. Make a slurry by mixing 2 tablespoons of water and flour, mixing until there are no lumps. After the chicken is cooked, mix in the milk, whipping cream and stock. Add the slurry and parmesan to the frying pan and simmer for about 5 minutes until it thickens.
How to Make Fettuccine Alfredo
- Saute onions in butter and oil
- Fry strips of chicken with minced garlic
- Mix in whipping cream and parmesan cheese with the chicken and onions
- Toss the Fettuccine noodles through the Alfredo sauce
- Squeeze half a lemon over the noodles, garnish with parsley
- Serve with Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe Tips
- Add frozen peas while frying the caramelized onions
- Cream Cheese adds extra creaminess and thickens the sauce too! Beware, also adds more calories 🤣
- Broccoli and Spinach leaves add color and vitamins
- Mix in sun-dried tomatoes
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of chicken stock into the cream sauce for extra flavor
Pasta Dinner Recipes You'll Love
- Lasagna with Cottage Cheese
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Lasagna Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Meaty Lasagna with Chorizo
- Creamy Tuna Pasta
This family dinner favorite is so easy to make! Caramelized onions, smothered in cream and parmesan cheese. A classic Chicken Alfredo Recipe with Fettuccine, including a healthier lower fat variation, but you'd never know it! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 lb /500g fettuccine noodles
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs /1kg chicken cut into strips
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of ½ a lemon
- garnish with freshly chopped parsley
- Fry the onion in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon of oil, sauté until caramelized. Set onions aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining butter and oil and fry the strips of chicken until it's cooked. Add the minced garlic to the chicken while it's frying.
- Return the caramelized onions to the pan. Mix in whipping cream and parmesan and heat to a low simmer.
- Cook the fettuccine in salted water according to instructions. Drain and toss the noodles through the Alfredo Sauce and chicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the fettuccine pasta. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan.