Cauliflower Fried Rice is a delicious and easy way to get more vegetables into yourself and your family. I know I don't eat enough vegetables into my diet, and am trying to find creative ways to sneak them into our dinners. The small pieces of cauliflower perfectly absorb the cooking flavors.
Gone are the days of boring steamed vegetables as a side dish. Maybe that's why kids dislike vegetables? I must admit, every time I make Cauliflower Rice, I think I'm going to make a vegetarian dish, but that never seems to happen. It seems like vegan recipes are all the rage at the moment, but I can't just seem to get there. I know myself well enough that I don't do vegan usually. If you wanted to adapt this recipe to a vegan version, substitute the bacon with mushrooms, add some coconut oil and skip the eggs.
Is Cauliflower Fried Rice healthy?
The short answer is yes, but there are a few things to consider. Let's start with the good. This Cauliflower Fried Rice is carb free, and jam packed with vegetables. Using Cauliflower Rice instead of regular white rice is a health winner. Making 1 cup of Cauliflower Rice is only 25 calories, comparing 1 cup of white rice is 206 calories. However, the amount of fat in this recipe from the bacon is something to consider.
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is part of the family of cruciferous vegetables, along with broccoli, kale and cabbage. They are high in antioxidants and phytochemicals. It's high in Vitamin C, with 1 cup of cauliflower delivering 77% of your daily recommended intake. It's also said that eating cauliflower will help prevent chronic diseases, heart diseases, diabetes and more. I'm no medical doctor, but all that sounds pretty good. I need to get more cauliflower in my diet!
Is Cauliflower Fried Rice Keto?
The Keto Diet is a low carb, high fat diet that has many health benefits. The most common reason for eating a Keto lifestyle is for the weight loss. It's similar to the Atkins Diet. The reduction of carbs and increase of fats causes your body to enter a state of ketosis. I didn't set out to make a Keto Cauliflower recipe, but this fits the bill perfectly. Make sure that you don't drain the fat when cooking the bacon. Not only is this good for Keto, but you get to keep all the flavors in the Cauliflower Fried Rice.
What is Kecap Manis?
This is my secret ingredient in this Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe that sets it apart from most recipes. Kecap Manis is a Sweet Sauce that originates from Indonesia. It's thicker than regular soy sauce and slightly sweeter, has almost a molasses like flavor from the palm sugar. It's a staple in Indonesian cooking. We love adding it to stir frys and fried rice recipes, or even use it as a dip. It should be readily available in most Asian grocers. For a substitute, mix regular soy with a touch of brown sugar and molasses (but it's not the same).
Cauliflower Fried Rice is low carb, keto and delicious. An easy way to sneak in vegetables to your dinner plate. Perfect as a side dish, or as your dinner main. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Cauliflower Fried Rice with Bacon
- ½ lb /250g speck or bacon cut in small chunks
- 1 large grated cauliflower about 7 cups
- 3 eggs
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- knob of ginger finely diced
- 1 carrot diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 can baby corn in bite-sized pieces
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 tablespoons Sweet Soy Sauce Kecap Manis
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 green onions
- Cut the cauliflower into pieces, removing the inner core. Grate using a grater, or using a food processor pulse until it resembles small rice pieces. I got about 7-8 cups of cauliflower rice.
- In a frying pan, lightly scramble the eggs and fry them into a thin round omelette. Allow to cool and slice into thin ribbons. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, fry the chunky bacon pieces until the fat renders and it starts to crisp up. Add the onions, ginger and garlic and fry until they are caramelized.
- Mix in the diced carrot and frozen peas and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the cauliflower rice, sesame oil, red pepper, baby corn and stir until combined. Cook for about 7 minutes.
- Mix in the egg ribbons, green onions, soy sauce and Kecap Manis (Sweet Soy Sauce). Serve immediately.