Every wonder how to make Russian Cabbage Pie (Пирог с капустой)? This recipe is a puff pastry pie with cabbage filling that you are going to love. Filled with flavor, and easy lunch or vegetarian dinner.
Puff Pastry or Yeast Dough?
Traditionally this recipe is made with a yeast dough, which Russians love make pies with. Follow the link to see how to make a traditional Russian Yeast Dough version which works great for this recipe. I sometimes use a bread maker when making yeast dough from scratch because it's easier. You can use the dough in the Kulebyaka recipe for this Cabbage Pie if you are wanting a bread machine recipe.
However, working full time, I don't always have time to make a yeast dough from scratch, so puff pastry it is! Using store bought frozen puff pastry is quick, and cheap, and is always in my freezer, ready for easy baking. My aunt in Russia showed me this shortcut recipe, it's so easy to make.
How to Make Cabbage Pie
We already covered the Puff Pastry shortcut, so what's left? This recipe makes 2 round 8" pies, like you would use for Apple Pie. You could use a larger rectangular baking pan. Use whatever works for the filling you have. Any leftover cabbage filling is perfect as a side dish for your next meal.
The hardest part of this recipe is cutting the puff pastry pie top. I measure the circumference of the pie pan on the pastry, and cut with a knife. This gets placed over the braised cabbage filling and the overhanging pastry gets pressed together. It doesn't crimp together like a sweet dessert pie, but is rounded in shape. My egg wash is always made with egg yolk and a bit of whipping cream. The fat in the cream helps the wash not to crack as much when baking. Sometime egg washes can look awful, either too thick or too thin. Try your egg wash with whipping cream, it comes out perfect for me every time.
Cabbage Pie with Eggs
Many recipes will add hard boiled eggs in their pies. I suppose this keeps in line with a vegetarian dish. I don't like eggs in the pie, so I don't use it. The Butter Braised Cabbage filling is all the flavor I need! Vegetarian meals are popular in Russia during Lent, and people can get creative with their stuffings. You could add whatever savory pie filling you like I suppose. Suggestions like ground beef, fried sausage or bacon. It's really tasty with mushrooms too.
Easy Cabbage Recipes
- Quick Pickled Cabbage
- Russian Cabbage Soup -Shchi
- Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- Beet Borscht
- Cabbage Piroshki
- Golubtsi - Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
I'm sure you're going to love this easy Cabbage Pie recipe. I never quite knew why many people don't love cabbage. I think it's because they haven't tried many great cabbage recipes. This one's a keeper! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 1 small cabbage shredded
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 onions diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh dill chopped
- egg wash egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon whipping cream
- Prepare the cabbage filling. Fry the onions and carrot with the butter until they start to caramelize. (Takes about 5 minutes)
- Add the oil and shredded cabbage. Cove and saute for about 15 minutes on low heat. Add the water if mixture is dry.
- Add dill and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to allow to slightly cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200C °
- Line the base of a pie pan with the frozen puff pastry, allowing for extra pastry to overhang. Using the pie pan as a guide, measure the circle and cut another puff pastry piece as the pie top and set aside.
- Add the braised cabbage inside the pie. Cover with second puff pastry piece and fold over the overhanging pastry. Brush with the egg wash and bake until golden brown for about 40 minutes.