This Cabbage pie is filled with flavor, an easy lunch or vegetarian dinner. A crispy puff pastry pie with cabbage filling that everybody will love! Makes 2 pies, enjoy one pie for dinner and save the other for another meal.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy - the puff pastry is a great shortcut, takes only 40 minutes to prepare
- Vegetarian - not all pies are meat pies, this meatless pie is healthy and perfect for Lent
- Comforting - pies are a comfort food, crispy pastry stuffed with savoury filling, tastes like baba's house
- frozen puff pastry - supermarket pastry is perfect
- braised cabbage - small green cabbage, carrot and onions
- dill - fresh herbs elevate this recipe
- egg wash - an egg yolk with whipping cream
Best Pastry for Cabbage Pie
Traditionally, Slavic cabbage pies are made with yeast dough. However, you're probably pretty busy and might not have time to make dough from scratch. Choose your favorite method.
- puff pastry - quickest method, cheap and always available
- homemade yeast dough - traditional method for pies
- bread machine dough - use same recipe as Kulebyaka Salmon Pie
Pie Dishes To Use
- 2 x 8" round pie dish - just like you use for an Apple Pie
- rectangular baking pan - an alternative pan for a larger single pie
How to Make Cabbage Pie
This Russian Cabbage Pie is made with a few ingredients, puff pastry and braised cabbage. Start by making the braised cabbage first, allowing to slightly cool before using.
- Prepare - shred the cabbage, dice onions and grate carrots
- Caramelize - fry onions and carrots until they caramelize
- Saute - add shredded cabbage, cover with lid and cook on low heat
- Season - mix in fresh dill and salt and pepper
- Cool - set aside and allow to slightly cool
Making Cabbage Pie
- Preheat - oven to 400°F/200°C
- Measure and Cut - line inside of pie pan with puff pastry, allowing pastry to overhang a few inches. Using pie pan base as a guide, measure the circle and cut another puff pastry piece as the pie top and set aside.
- Braised Cabbage - place cooked cabbage inside the pie
- Cover - place puff pastry pie top over the cabbage. Fold the overhanging pastry onto the pie lid. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake - place in oven until golden brown (about 40 minutes)
Cabbage Pie Variations
- boiled eggs - another traditional version to add hard boiled eggs into the cabbage filling
- mushrooms - sauté mushrooms with your cabbage
- sauerkraut - add a few tablespoons to frying pan when sautéing cabbage, gives sourness, depth and flavor
- fennel - slice fennel and sauté with cabbage for a unique flavor
- chicken - although not vegetarian, but adding protein is popular option
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Puff Pastry - usually sold in squares, easily connect the pieces together to fit the pie pan and reduce wastage
- Make it Vegan - substitute butter with oil, use vegan puff pastry and skip the egg wash
- Garlic - add 3 cloves of minced garlic to your cabbage
- Leftover Cabbage Filling - perfect as a side dish for your next meal
- Egg Wash - Mix egg yolk and a bit of whipping cream. The fat in the cream helps the wash not to crack as much when baking.
- Decorate - use leftover dough to cut into leaf shapes to place over the pie, makes this rustic pie look a bit fancy
- Serving Tips - enjoy with a side salad, pan fried potatoes and a dollop of sour cream
Can You Make This Ahead?
Yes, it's easy to make the braised cabbage ahead of time. Cover and place in fridge a day or two before using. When making pie, slightly warm the cabbage filling to take the chill out.
- Fridge - allow to cool, cover and place in the fridge. Best enjoyed within 3 days of being made. Reheat at 350°F/180°C for 20-30 minutes until heated through.
- Freezing - Allow to cool, cover and freeze up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge, and reheat in the oven at 350°F/180°C for 20-30 minutes until heated through.
Cabbage Recipes You'll Love
- Quick Pickled Cabbage
- Coleslaw with KFC dressing
- Russian Cabbage Soup
- Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- Cabbage Piroshki
- Korean Kimchi
- Golubtsi - Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
You're going to love this easy Cabbage Pirog. My aunt in Russia showed me this shortcut puff pastry method (Пирог с капустой). Perfect for a weeknight dinner or a tasty lunch. This one's a keeper! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 2 eight inch round pie pans
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 1 small cabbage shredded
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 onions diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons fresh dill chopped
- egg wash egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon whipping cream
- Prepare the cabbage filling. Fry the onions and carrot with the butter until they start to caramelize. (Takes about 5 minutes)
- Add the oil and shredded cabbage. Cove and saute for about 15 minutes on low heat. Add the water if mixture is dry.
- Add dill and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to allow to slightly cool.
Making Cabbage Pie
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200C °
- Line the base of a pie pan with the frozen puff pastry, allowing for extra pastry to overhang. Using the pie pan as a guide, measure the circle and cut another puff pastry piece as the pie top and set aside.
- Add the braised cabbage inside the pie. Cover with second puff pastry piece and fold over the overhanging pastry. Brush with the egg wash and bake until golden brown for about 40 minutes.
©PetersFoodAdventures.com *originally published June 2020, updated March 2023