This is such a tasty char grilled zucchini recipe, the perfect side with your next bbq. I think everyone will love it, even people who don't like vegetables!
Is Zucchini Same as Summer Squash?
Zucchini is a type of summer squash. The term summer squash is an umbrella term for different types of squashes. They are also known as courgettes, baby marrow (when they are very tiny). Pattypans and Button Squash are all part of this family. Zucchinis can be commonly mis-spelled as Zuchinni.
They are usually harvested when 6-8 inches in size, but can also grow into jumbo zucchinis. Most commonly dark green, like the ones I use, but can also be a bright yellow color too. I love using Pattypan Squash, which is another type of summer squash too. Usually I make a Quick Pickled Pattypan Squash to add to my burgers. You can grill this recipe using any of these summer squash.
How Do You Eat Zucchini?
One bite at a time? 🤣 Many cultures around the world have different ways to eat Zucchini. It's delicate in flavor and is not complex. It can be fried, stewed, baked, boiled, deep fried. It doesn't take long to cook, and this grilling method is my favorite way to eat zucchini! It's such a tasty side dish to make with your next bbq, you could even add them inside your burger.
How to Grill Zucchini
The zucchini I'm using is the regular size you find in supermarkets. They are usually 6-8 inches long. In farmers markets they sell the large ones, but those are suitable for this recipe. You only need 4 ingredients for this recipe. Zucchini, Olive Oil, Montreal Steak Spice and a lemon.
The first thing is to slice the zucchini lengthways. For me this serves 2 purposes. One is to highlight the grill lines from the bbq (makes it look more appetizing). The other is how easy it is to flip them while they are grilling. Roundly sliced zucchinis tend to fall through the grill, in my experience.
Drizzle the sliced zucchinis with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle your favorite seasoning salt. I always have Montreal Steak Spice on hand, easy and tasty. You can leave this to marinate for 15 minutes if you like, or just grill them right away. It only takes a few minutes to grill per side, and your zucchinis are done! Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and you're ready to serve.
Grilled Zucchini Recipe Tips
- Use your favorite seasoning salt, try Cajun Spice!
- Slice the zucchini in thicker pieces, but adjust your cooking time
- Don't make this ahead of time, it will get soggy. Serve right away after grilling
- Try grilled zucchini slices inside your burger
This grilled zucchini recipe is an easy and inexpensive way to serve zucchini, tasty too. No complicated ingredients, a simple barbecued side dish that looks a little fancy. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Easy Grilled Zucchini Recipe
- 3 zucchini sliced lengthways
- extra virgin olive oil
- Montreal Steak Spice
- ½ lemon
- Slice the zucchini lengthways, into about 4 slabs per zucchini (about ¼").
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss with Montreal Steak Spice until it's completely covered.
- Heat grill on high. Place the zucchini on the grill and cook for about 2 minutes, until char grill marks form. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from bbq and squeeze the juice of half a lemon. Serve immediately.