I love Kimchi Fried Rice, it's my favorite of all the fried rice recipes out there! And so easy to make as well! Korean foods are so full of flavor, you've got to try this recipe.
What is Kimchi Fried Rice?
Kimchi Fried Rice is a popular dish from Korea, which is called kimchi-bokkeumbap. It can be made with only 2 ingredients, rice and fermented kimchi. People do add different meats, like pork, spam, chicken, beef or even shrimp. Because it's such a cheap dish to make, it's a popular Korean recipe among university students in Korea.
I make homemade Kimchi, because it's so easy to make and much cheaper than buying it in the store. As Kimchi ripens, it becomes more pungent, and they say it tastes best when you use ripe Kimchi when making this recipe. Don't buy your Kimchi at Costco, make it at home instead! It will give you a reason to try this recipe!
How to Make Kimchi Fried Rice
This is the easiest Korean recipe that I know! Much easier to make than any other fried rice. Although the recipe is better with day old, leftover rice, I always make the rice fresh. This a larger recipe, that will feed 4-6 people compared to many other recipes out there. Leftover rice is usually leftover in smaller quantities. Prepare ahead if you wish, but it's usually the very first thing I make when I start. Traditionally Koreans use a short grain rice, but in the video, I used a medium grain rice.
While the rice is cooking, prepare the fried egg to serve on top with your fried rice. Slice the onions and thinly sliced chicken breast. The chicken should be thinly sliced so it cooks quickly. When the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and allow to cool.
Just stir fry the onions and chicken, add the kimchi, then add the cooked rice. It's THAT EASY. I also add soy sauce and sesame oil, plus top with a fried egg or whatever variations you like.
Does Kimchi Fried Rice Need Gochujang?
Yes and No. If you like spicy Korean foods, then by all means, add extra Gochujang (spicy Korean pepper paste). My homemade Kimchi is made with gochujang, and I still add extra when cooking for a bit of kick. If you don't like food very spicy, then you can skip. Adding Gochujang is more of a traditional way of enjoying this recipe.
- Plan ahead and make the rice the night before
- Make your own homemade Kimchi
- Use over-ripened Kimchi for best flavor
- Add extra vegetables like grated carrot and mushrooms
- Use Short Grain Rice, Medium if you must, but never Long.
Kimchi Fried Rice with Chicken is one of my favorite spicy Korean dinner recipes. So easy to make, economical and a great introduction to Korean cooking. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Kimchi Fried Rice (Video)
- 3 cups uncooked rice short grain or medium grain
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 chicken breast thinly sliced
- 2 cups kimchi chopped and kimchi juice saved
- 1 tablespoon Gochujang
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil to taste
- Cook 3 cups of uncooked rice, set aside to cool. While rice is cooking, prep and start the cooking process.
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Saute onions until they start to sweat. Add the thinly sliced chicken pieces and fry until cooked.
- Squeeze out the kimchi and save the liquids to add with the rice. Toss the kimchi into the wok mixture and fry for a few minutes. Mix in the Gochujang paste.
- Add the rice, kimchi juice, soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir until it’s evenly mixed.
- Serve with fried egg and garnish with green onions.