This Slow Cooker Beef Brisket recipe with wild mushrooms is a delicious comfort food that we enjoy year round. Perfect when you have a busy day ahead, and don't have time to cook. Easy to prepare the night before, kept in the fridge until you're ready to go to work in the morning!
Beef Brisket is enjoyed around the world in many different ways. Popular in Vietnamese soups, smoked in Texas, the Germans braise it in beer, and in Jewish cooking it's braised as a pot roast, just to name a few. We eat it on top of Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with Mushrooms
It's a tough cut of meat with lot of connective tissue, I find it's best enjoyed cooked slowly in a crock pot or slow cooker. There are so many way and flavors in a beef brisket, my recipe is simple and tomato free and uses no ketchup. I find that tomatoes add too much acidity for me, and I love the au jus gravy.
I used dried wild mushrooms, usually Chanterelles. I love the flavor boost to my dishes from the mushroom stock, a by product of re-hydrating the mushrooms. You can use fresh Chanterelles if you know how to forage for wild mushrooms, or just regular button mushrooms. I suggest ¼lb or 250g sliced and caramelised with the onions. It just adds a nice flavor to the pulled beef.
Fall Apart Tender Slow Cooker Beef Brisket recipe with wild mushrooms (Chanterelles) is an easy recipe that saves you time. Set and forget, rich in flavor cooked in au jus, melts in your mouth. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with Wild Mushrooms
- 2 lbs/1kg Beef Brisket
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1oz/20g dried wild mushrooms* chanterelles
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- ¾ cup red wine
- 2 cups mushroom stock from the dried mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon beef stock powder
- bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rehydrate the dried wild mushrooms in 2 cups of warm water for at least 20 minutes. Reserve the mushroom water to be used as stock.*
- Season the brisket with salt a pepper. If you're feeling adventurous, rub it in all over using your hands. Trim excess fat before seasoning.
- In a pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and sear the beef brisket around 4-5 minutes each side. Place the seared brisket into the slow cooker.
- In a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and fry the sliced onions and garlic until caramelized. Add to the slow cooker over the brisket.
- Place the rehydrated wild mushrooms to the slow cooker. Add 1 teaspoon of beef stock powder to the mushroom stock. Should be 2 cups of stock, top up with water if necessary to make 2 cups.
- Put the stock, red wine, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for at least 6 hours.
- When cooked, remove the pieces of brisket and shred with 2 forks on a cutting board before placing back into the juices in the slow cooker. Serve with over mashed potatoes and vegetables.