This Chicken Fettuccine recipe is a delicious comfort food, packed with carbs, cream and cheese. And the best part, you can save dishes by making this all in one pot! It's the perfect recipe to eat with a Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread!
This is my mom's Chicken Fettuccine recipe that I remember eating as a teenager. It's funny how food memories take you back to a place and time. Her original recipe wasn't as healthy, as it had much more butter and whipping cream.
Chicken Breast or Chicken Thighs?
You can use either chicken breast or chicken thighs, its all about your taste preferences. Chicken breasts can be drier, while chicken thighs are more flavorful. For the recipe as pictured the photos, I used both chicken breast and thighs together. I love the flavor of both cuts of chicken meat together in the recipe, but as I said, you choose what you prefer.
I don't always have real chicken broth available and use powdered broth mixed with water. When cooking the fettuccine, I always save 1 cup of the pasta water to mix with the chicken broth. The starches in the pasta water add flavor and help thicken the sauce.
What Makes This Lower Fat?
Regular Fetuccine Alfredo is always a very creamy, full fat and full flavor recipe. It's good to look for short cuts to make it a big healthier. I use a mixture of 1 cup of whipping cream with 1 cup of milk, which lowers that fat content. For a fuller flavor, just use more whipping cream and skip the milk. The addition of chicken stock adds extra flavor to the recipe, so you aren't missing out!
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo variations
There are different ways that people change up Alfredo recipes. Some people add peas, others add bacon and mushrooms. You can add cream cheese to help thicken the sauce, and add more flavor and calories too. Other vegetables you can add is broccoli, spinach, or sun-dried tomatoes. I prefer this more of a classic recipe, as long as it's made from scratch. Store-bought alfredo sauce always tastes gross, and this recipe doesn't take long to make.
Chicken Alfredo is perfect for a weeknight or weekend meal, this family dinner favorite is so easy to make! Caramelized onions, smothered in cream, milk, stock and parmesan cheese. A healthier lower fat recipe vs traditional, but you'd never know it! Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Chicken Fettuccine Recipe
- 1 lb /500g fettuccine noodles
- 2 lbs /1kg chicken breast/thighs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
- garnish with freshly chopped parsley
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Cook the fettuccine in salted water according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Fry the diced onion in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon of oil, sauté until caramelized. Set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining butter and oil and fry the chicken. Add the garlic to the chicken after about 5 minutes of frying the chicken. Fry the chicken until cooked.
- Return to the pan the caramelized onions, and add milk, chicken stock and whipping cream. Heat to a simmer.
- In a small glass, make a slurry with ½ cup water and the flour, mixing so there are no lumps. Add this flour slurry to the sauce, allowing to simmer on low until it thickens (about 5 minutes). Add ½ cup grated parmesan to the sauce. Optional: can add cream cheese for a creamier sauce.
- Toss the Alfredo Sauce with chicken through the cooked fettuccine noodles. Finish by adding salt and pepper to taste, and a squeeze of the juice of half a lemon. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan.