Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells (Conchiglioni Bolognese) is one of the many ways to enjoy Italian jumbo pasta shells. These pasta shells are called Conchiglioni in Italian. It's a classic baked pasta dish that's easy to make, and full of flavor!
Anything can be stuffed inside the jumbo Stuffed Pasta Shells (Conchiglioni Bolognese). Anything from cream cheese, to ricotta to meats and sausages. This recipe uses a basic bolognese recipe that incorporates some vegetables, like zucchini, carrot and red pepper. I think it's always good to sneak in vegetables wherever you can, especially when feeding kids.
You can use store-bought pasta sauces when making the Ragu Bolognese Meat Sauce. However, when possible, I use Passata Sauce. Passata is uncooked pureed tomatoes and add the fresh herbs for flavor. Passata is my 'go to' pasta sauce base and is always in my pantry as it's full of tomato goodness.
When assembling the Stuffed Pasta Shells, pour a jar of store-bought pasta sauce as the base in the oven proof dish. This is what the Stuffed Pasta Shells will sit on. You could also cook double the meat sauce and use that as the base, as any extra meat sauce will be placed around the stuffed pasta shells.
You could say this dish is similar to lasagna, maybe just presented in a different way. Whatever your favorite way to make Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells (Conchiglioni Bolognese), it's sure to be a family favorite. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells (Conchiglioni Bolognese)
- 1 packet jumbo pasta shells conchiglioni 500g/1lb
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 small zucchini finely diced
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 2 lbs/1kg ground beef
- 2 jars Pasta Sauce
- 1 jar store-bought tomato pasta sauce
- ¼ cup fresh oregano chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Cook the large pasta shells as per instructions and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in the vegetables, chopped herbs and 1 jar of the Pasta Sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the pasta shells generously with the ground beef mixture. Pour the other jar of pasta sauce into the base of an oven proof dish. Neatly lay the stuffed pasta shells on top of the sauce, cover with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Place in a preheated 350°F/180°C oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and meat is warmed through.